Fighting for the Justice of Personal Injury Victims in Myrtle Beach
If you have suffered an injury or illness due to someone else’s negligence, our team of Myrtle Beach personal injury lawyers is ready to assist you in seeking compensation from the responsible party. It is unfair for you or your loved ones to shoulder the financial and emotional burdens alone when someone else’s negligence has caused you harm.
Our committed personal injury attorneys in Myrtle Beach, SC, are here to advocate for your personal injury case. We will work diligently to secure the compensation you are entitled to. We begin by offering a complimentary consultation, where we carefully evaluate the details of your case and develop a legal strategy tailored to your specific needs. Contact us today at (843) 779-1777 for a free, no-obligation case review.
Why Hire an Attorney for Your Injury Case?
Hiring our Myrtle Beach personal injury attorneys can greatly enhance the outcome of your case when you confront the consequences of an injury. Unfortunately, dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, so it is crucial to have legal representation to ensure a fair and just settlement that accurately accounts for your losses and damages. Insurance companies frequently attempt to diminish claims and propose inadequate initial settlements, exploiting your overwhelmed state.
Rather than adding more tasks to your already lengthy list of responsibilities, our personal injury lawyers in Myrtle Beach, SC, can handle the entire process on your behalf. We take care of negotiating with insurers, handling paperwork, and managing communications, relieving you of the seemingly inevitable stress. This allows you to concentrate on healing, returning to work, and managing the aftermath of your accident? By hiring us, you can save time, alleviate burdensome responsibilities, and significantly increase your chances of obtaining the compensation you rightfully deserve.
When Should You Contact an Injury Lawyer in Myrtle Beach?
Following a personal injury accident, victims may feel reluctant to pursue legal aid. Nevertheless, if you have suffered severe injuries or encountered resistance from the opposing party’s insurance company regarding your personal injury claim, you should seek the counsel of a well-informed attorney. Neglecting to obtain legal guidance following a serious accident can result in substantial expenses of both time and money. The sooner you engage an experienced attorney to investigate your case, the earlier you can prioritize your recuperation.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury case can arise from various types of accidents. Essentially, if your injury was caused by someone else’s reckless or negligent behavior, they may be held responsible. From a legal standpoint, it is necessary to establish the negligence of the party at fault to seek compensation. To file a claim on your behalf, we must present evidence of the following:
1. The responsible party had a duty to ensure your safety.
2. The party in question acted negligently or recklessly.
3. Their careless or reckless actions exposed you to danger and harmed you.
4. You suffered various damages and losses.
However, it is important to note that sustaining an injury alone does not automatically validate a personal injury case. Our attorney will actively listen to your account, carefully evaluate the specific circumstances, and determine whether pursuing a claim against the liable party is advisable for you.
Can You Afford a Personal Injury Lawyer in Myrtle Beach?
We recognize that you may be experiencing financial challenges following a personal injury. One significant advantage of hiring our personal injury lawyers in Myrtle Beach is that their payment is contingent upon securing compensation for you. Instead of requiring upfront fees, we receive a percentage of your damage award as their payment. Here’s how the payment process operates:
1. Your lawyer successfully negotiates a settlement or obtains a court award on your behalf.
2. They receive the payment on your behalf.
3. They deduct a prearranged percentage as their fee.
4. The remaining amount is utilized to cover any outstanding bills, and the remaining funds are disbursed to you, the client.
Who Is Liable in Your Injury Case?
Myrtle Beach, SC, personal injury cases rely on comparative negligence rules to determine liability. According to this rule, even if the plaintiff shares some responsibility for the accident, they can still seek compensation if their negligence is not greater than that of the other parties involved. However, the awarded damages will be proportionally reduced based on the plaintiff’s level of negligence.
For example, if you are determined to be 30% at fault and the defendant is 70% at fault, and a jury awards damages of $100,000, you would receive a verdict of $70,000 from that particular defendant.
Liability is typically established through thoroughly investigating the facts and cooperation with the insurance company. If the case proceeds to court, the jury determines the percentages of fault after considering arguments and evidence from both the plaintiff and the defense. In situations involving multiple parties, the plaintiff’s negligence must not exceed the combined negligence of all defendants to maintain the validity of their claim.
It’s important to understand that in South Carolina, the burden of proving negligence rests on the plaintiff, who must demonstrate the defendant’s negligence by a preponderance of the evidence. The defendant can present evidence challenging both their and the plaintiff’s negligence in the case. This underscores the importance of hiring a personal injury attorney in Myrtle Beach who can assist in gathering evidence and constructing the strongest possible case.
What Damages Can You Collect in a Personal Injury Case in Myrtle Beach?
Before seeking compensation from the responsible party, it is crucial to assess the extent of your damages to determine the appropriate value for your case. The specific circumstances surrounding each case will dictate the potential financial recovery available to the victim.
Various factors, such as the nature of your injuries and the duration of your recovery period, will influence the amount of compensation you may seek. Generally, damages can be classified into two primary categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages encompass expenses directly associated with the accident, which can be substantiated with records, receipts, and pertinent documents. Examples of economic damages include:
1. Medical bills (past, current, and future)
2. Lost wages
3. Diminished earning capacity
4. Property damage or replacement costs
On the other hand, non-economic damages do not possess a specific monetary value but reflect the impact of your injuries or losses. These damages may include:
1. Pain and suffering
2. Mental and emotional distress
3. Disability and disfigurement
4. Loss of enjoyment of life
5. Loss of companionship
How Is the Value of Damages Determined for Your Claim?
There is no definitive approach or formula that can precisely determine the exact value of your case. Each claim is distinct, and the court takes into account numerous factors when reaching a decision. When evaluating a ruling, the court typically considers medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The significance assigned to each of these factors varies depending on the nature and severity of your injury, and they are assessed and prioritized differently in each case.
However, our knowledgeable personal injury law firm in Myrtle Beach has experience handling similar cases and may be able to offer a general range of potential compensation based on their expertise. This can help provide you with an understanding of the potential value of your case.
What Evidence Is Needed for a Personal Injury Claim in Myrtle Beach?
Collecting evidence is of utmost importance when pursuing a personal injury claim, as it is essential for building a robust case. Visual evidence, such as photographs and videos, can have a profound impact on personal injury cases. Capturing images of your injuries and documenting your rehabilitation process through videos can strongly influence settlement negotiations or jurors. Visual depictions can evoke emotions and effectively convey the facts that support a fair personal injury award. Additionally, physical evidence, such as unwashed clothes or shoes worn during the incident, can be particularly valuable in slip-and-fall cases.
Documentary evidence also plays a crucial role in personal injury claims. This includes reports filed by law enforcement, pre-hospital reports detailing emergency treatments, medical reports, bills, and documentation of lost wages through pay stubs and tax returns. Documentary evidence establishes the connection between the negligent act and the resulting injuries, while also aiding in assessing the value of your claim and the pursuit of appropriate compensation.
Witness testimony serves as another significant form of evidence. Eyewitnesses to the injury can provide valuable testimony that helps determine liability. Testimony from your doctors and care providers can clarify the extent of your injuries and their impact on your life. The testimony of loved ones and family members can humanize your case and enable jurors to grasp the true consequences of the accident on your life.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys in Myrtle Beach, SC, possess the expertise to identify and gather the necessary evidence to strengthen your case. By leveraging this evidence, we can present a compelling argument on your behalf, thereby increasing the likelihood of a favorable outcome and securing the compensation you rightfully deserve.
What Is the Process for Starting Your Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury cases generally follow a consistent timeline, although each case may have unique complexities. Here is a general overview of how a personal injury claim is typically handled:
1. Initial Consultation:
The first step is to meet with a personal injury attorney in Myrtle Beach, SC. It is important to consult with an attorney before engaging with any insurance representatives. Our attorneys offer complimentary initial consultations, during which you can discuss the details of your case, the injuries you have sustained, and the treatments you have received thus far. This consultation will provide you with an understanding of the strength of your case and allow you to explore your legal options.
2. Retaining a Personal Injury Attorney:
Following the consultation, you can select the attorney who best meets your needs. Experience, track record, and personal rapport should be considered. Our Myrtle Beach personal injury lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning you are not responsible for attorney fees unless you receive a monetary award. The fee will be a percentage of the award, and our Myrtle Beach personal injury law firm will cover any expenses related to the case.
3. Discovery and Fact-Finding:
Once you have retained an attorney, they will initiate an independent investigation into your accident. This investigation aims to determine the cause of the accident and gather evidence pertaining to the incident and your injuries. Additionally, medical records may be obtained during this process.
4. Negotiations and Mediation:
After obtaining the necessary evidence, your attorney will file a claim with the insurance company of the party at fault. Typically, a demand for a specific amount to cover all damages will be made. Negotiations with the insurance company are common as they seek a settlement. Settling a case is often favored by insurance companies to avoid the expenses associated with a trial. In the event that a lawsuit is filed, we proceed to the mediation stage to attempt resolution before going to trial.
5. Filing a Lawsuit:
If a settlement cannot be reached, your attorney may initiate a lawsuit. The statute of limitations limits the timeframe for filing the lawsuit, but completion of the suit is not required by that time. This can extend the duration within which you can seek compensation. Sometimes, filing a lawsuit prompts the insurance company to become more amenable to settlement. In other cases, the insurer may opt to vigorously defend the case.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys in Myrtle Beach, SC, will guide you through each step of the process, safeguarding your rights and diligently working to secure the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Why Sink Law Injury Lawyers Might Not Take Your Case in Myrtle Beach?
Here are a few reasons why George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers may decline to take a case:
1. Challenges in establishing fault: Proving fault is a critical aspect of any personal injury case. To pursue a successful claim, it is essential to demonstrate that the accident occurred due to the negligence of the other party involved. If it is determined that you bear full responsibility for the accident, it may not be feasible to recover damages. Our personal injury lawyers carefully evaluate the circumstances and assess the likelihood of recovery based on the allocation of fault.
2. Expired statute of limitations: The statute of limitations sets a deadline for filing a case, which varies depending on the type of legal claim. If you contact our personal injury lawyers and we cannot take your case, it could be because the statute of limitations has expired. This underscores the importance of promptly seeking legal advice after an injury or accident. To ensure you have the opportunity to file a claim, it is crucial to avoid unnecessary delays and consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
3. Jurisdictional limitations: Personal injury cases are subject to jurisdictional requirements, determining the appropriate jurisdiction for filing a case. Lawyers are typically licensed to practice in specific states and jurisdictions. Depending on the unique circumstances of your case, it may be necessary to file the claim in a jurisdiction where the attorney you wish to hire is not licensed.
4. No significant injuries were incurred: If you did not suffer physical injuries, we cannot take your case.
What Can You Do To Protect the Value of Your Injury Case?
Here are some steps you can take to safeguard the value of your personal injury case:
1. Promptly seek medical attention: It is crucial to seek immediate medical attention following an accident to ensure your injuries are diagnosed and treated appropriately. Apart from prioritizing your well-being, obtaining early medical evaluation results in thorough documentation of your injuries in your medical records. These records serve as crucial evidence when calculating the compensation you deserve.
2. Preserve evidence: Capture photographs or videos of the accident scene and note any details you can recall about the incident. Additionally, document the progression of your injuries during the healing process, providing evidence of how they have developed over time.
3. Comply with your treatment plan: It is important to diligently follow the treatment plan prescribed by your doctor. Delaying treatment or neglecting the recovery plan may give the opposing party’s insurance company grounds to argue that your injuries are less severe than claimed. By adhering to the recommended treatment, you strengthen your case and demonstrate the seriousness of your injuries.
4. Maintain expense records: Keep meticulous records of all expenses related to your accident. This includes retaining copies of medical bills, invoices, and receipts for your medical treatment, rehabilitation, property damage, and other relevant costs. Additionally, if your injuries have resulted in lost income, gather pay stubs, bank records, and other documentation to substantiate your financial losses.
What Should You Expect From Sink Law Injury Lawyers During Your Case?
When you choose our services for your personal injury case, we are dedicated to providing exceptional representation. Here is what you can expect:
- Thorough investigation: We will conduct a comprehensive investigation of your case to gather all relevant information and evidence.
- Essential information: We will ask you for important details only you can provide, such as contact information for witnesses or any police reports documenting the incident.
- Medical bills and receipts: We will require your medical bills and any receipts related to your injury to accurately assess the extent of your damages.
- Correspondence documentation: We will request emails, letters, and other documentation related to any communication you’ve had with insurance companies.
- Property damage and injury evidence: We will ask for car repair bills, receipts, or estimates, as well as pictures of any property damage or injuries.
- Realistic outcome information: We will provide you with clear information about the realistic potential outcomes of your case.
- Effective communication: Our team possesses excellent communication skills when dealing with insurance companies, other attorneys, and the court system.
- Courtroom experience and success: With our significant courtroom experience and a proven track record of success, we will skillfully represent your interests.
- Transparent timeframe: We will be upfront about the potential timeframe for settling your case, keeping you informed throughout the process.
- Clear fee structure: We will provide you with upfront information about our fees and litigation costs so that you have a clear understanding of the financial aspects.
- Prompt communication: We will respond promptly to your inquiries and keep you updated on the progress of your case.
- Professional and ethical conduct: We will handle your case with the utmost professionalism and adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Advocacy for maximum compensation: We will fight vigorously to secure the best possible compensation for you, considering the full extent of your damages.
- Organized and prepared: Our team is highly organized and well-prepared, ensuring that your case is presented effectively.
- Punctuality and respect: We value your time and will be punctual and respectful in all our interactions.
Get Started With Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Myrtle Beach, SC Today
Suffering a personal injury can have significant financial, physical, and emotional consequences for both you and your loved ones. If you have been injured in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, due to someone else’s negligence, George Sink P.A. Injury Lawyers is here to provide assistance.
With our extensive experience in aiding more than 40,000 injury victims across the state, our personal injury attorneys in Myrtle Beach, SC, possess the knowledge and resources to help you pursue a strong claim for compensation. Contact us today at (843) 779-1777 for a complimentary case review without any obligations.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Myrtle Beach
Our personal injury lawyers in Myrtle Beach, SC, specialize in all types of personal injury cases, including: