If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect in the Union, South Carolina area, contact a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Union, SC, at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers.
When you call to arrange a free initial consultation, we can discuss your case and determine the best possible way to move forward in pursuing compensation. Our team of compassionate personal injury lawyers is committed to seeking justice for our clients.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
What Is Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse?
In its broadest sense, elder abuse is intentionally harming or knowingly neglecting a vulnerable adult. Many people tend to look for physical signs of abuse. While causing physical injury is one aspect of abuse, there are actually five types that may be found in a nursing home setting.
- Physical abuse: Causing physical pain or injury. Includes using restraints with drugs or physical force to confine the elder, in addition to slapping, bruising, and shoving.
- Sexual abuse: Sexual abuse is any non-consensual contact. It could involve physical activity or forcing an elderly person to watch pornographic material.
- Neglect: Failure to provide satisfactory protection, shelter, health care, or food for an elder.
- Emotional abuse: Intimidating or humiliating an elder person by either nonverbal or verbal means. Results in mental anguish or distress of a vulnerable person.
- Exploitation and financial abuse: The hiding, theft, or misuse of an elder’s assets. May refer to investments, funds, or property.
Union Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
What Are Signs and Symptoms of Elder Abuse?
As is often the case, your loved one may feel too afraid or ashamed to verbalize what is happening. On the other hand, they may not have the capacity to communicate that there is a problem with their caregiver. If you suspect abuse is occurring, keep a close watch for any signs of abuse when you visit.
- Physical signsmay be evident such as lesions, welts, sores, bruising, or broken bones. Sudden aggressive behavior from your loved one is another indication of abuse.
- Sexual signs of abuse can be evident in the form of genital bleeding or bruising as well as bruising on breasts and thighs. An unexplained case of a sexually transmitted disease (STD) is another obvious symptom of abuse.
- Emotional abuse signs can be seen if the elder has become withdrawn or fearful of others. When one is unable to verbalize or communicate, they may rock back and forth, mumble, or chew on hands or articles of clothing.
- Financial exploitation becomes suspect when your loved one’s accounts feature unexplained transactions, money or other valuables are missing, or other assets are tampered with.
- Signs of neglect sometimes start with small symptoms, such as unkempt hair or clothes, but they escalate into severe cases of bedsores, improper administration of medicine, and malnutrition.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!(888) 612-7001
What Steps Should You Take If You Suspect Abuse or Neglect?
Take immediate corrective steps to remedy the situation when you suspect neglect or abuse. If you believe that your loved one is in imminent danger, take steps to remove him or her as soon as possible.
- Gather any pertinent documentation, such as medical records and take photos of physical signs of abuse. If possible, discuss the situation with your loved one or other coherent patients.
- Write a formal letter outlining your concerns and mail it via certified post to the nursing home’s administrator. Include details and a copy of your documentation.
- CallSouth Carolina Adult Protective Services at (864) 429-1660.
- Contact local law enforcement.
- Contact George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. We can assist you by arranging a consultation with a nursing home abuse and neglect attorney in Union, SC.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
How Can George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Assist You?
The caring and experienced attorneys at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers will guide you through the best legal options available to you.Our initial consultation is always free, so you are under no obligation to decide on a course of action.
Our Union, SC, nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys will review your individual situation and offer support on how best to proceed in pursuing justified compensation for pain, suffering, and financial expenses. If a loved one passed due to nursing home abuse and neglect, you may be eligible to recover a payout through a wrongful death action.
Our firm has a track record of recovery, and while that’s no guarantee of a case’s outcome, we do aggressively seek to hold those responsible for their heinous actions by proving financial liability. Our lawyers realize that no amount of money can bring your loved one back, or reverse the suffering, but recovering out-of-pocket expenses incurred by your family helps to ease the financial burden.
We are available for you to come to one of our offices or we can meet you at your home. Don’t let another moment of concern about your loved one pass without seeking expert advice. Contact us today by phone or through our online form.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001