The Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that following a vehicle too closely – often referred to as tailgatin – may:
- Cause you to be in an accident, even if you are paying attention to changing road conditions
- Not give you adequate time to brake when traffic unexpectedly slows or the vehicle ahead of you brakes
- Be especially dangerous in diminished road conditions, such as rain or ice
Tailgating may be viewed as a clear act of negligence if a driver struck your vehicle from the rear. If you have suffered losses because of a car accident that involved tailgating, you may be able to recover compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Call the team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today to learn how a Savannah tailgating accident lawyer can help you.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
Tailgating Is a Safety Hazard
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) outlines the behaviors that professional motorists should follow in order to protect themselves and other drivers on the road.
These guidelines can be viewed as best practices for any driver, and tailgating is among the “aggressive driving” behaviors that typically increase the chances of an accident, injury, or death. Per OSHA’s published findings:
- Tailgating was the number-one behavior that respondents to OSHA’s Nerves of Steel survey cited as an example of aggressive driving.
- Tailgating can be a sign of driver fatigue.
- Tailgating is one of many unsafe driving practices.
Tailgating causes several distinct driving hazards, all of which can put a driver at risk. For example, tailgating can:
- Prevent you from stopping in time should the vehicle in front of you brake unexpectedly
- Not give you enough time to react in a way that might prevent a collision, such as swerving to the side of the road
- Intimidate or distract the driver whose vehicle is being followed too closely, increasing the risk that they will cause an accident
- Cause a rear-end collision or a series of rear-end collisions
- Cause injuries associated with rear-end collisions
Tailgating presents a danger to the tailgater, as well as the vehicles whose bumpers they encroach upon. The consequences of this behavior can be deadly.
Savannah Tailgating Accidents Lawyer Near Me912-225-4600
Tailgating Can Lead to Avoidable Injury or Death
A person may give any number of excuses for tailgating, such as:
- Being late for work, school, or another obligation
- Blaming the motorist who they tailgate behind for driving too slowly
- Being ignorant of how close to the other person’s vehicle they truly were
There is no justification for tailgating – however, the possible consequences of driving too closely to another vehicle are simply too great to excuse. Some dangerous outcomes of an accident caused by tailgating include:
- Injuries to the brain, neck, and spinal column
- Whiplash, an injury that Mayo Clinic confirms is usually caused by rear-end accidents
- Other injuries that are common in automotive collisions, such as broken bones, internal injuries to vital organs, cuts and lacerations, and internal bleeding
- Emotional and psychological trauma
- Property damage
Making these possible outcomes even more inexcusable is the possibility that if the person who caused the collision was tailgating, these adverse consequences may have been prevented by never tailgating in the first place. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury – or your loved one died – because of an accident caused by tailgating, you could have the basis for a personal injury lawsuit.
To learn how a Savannah tailgating accident lawyer can help you, call the team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!912-225-4600
Taking Legal Action After a Savannah Car Accident
Whether you or a loved one was involved in an accident caused by tailgating or another behavior that you believe was potentially negligent, you may want to speak with a lawyer about your rights.
The legal team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers may be able to:
- Represent you in negotiations with one or more insurance companies that may owe you compensation, but do not offer you a sum that you believe is fair
- Help you identify the various parties that contributed to your accident and losses, as certain circumstances may allow you to sue multiple defendants
- Collect evidence pertaining to the accident, specifically the negligence of others involved in your collision
- Collect documentation for your injuries
- Organize statements and other testimonials to the post-accident losses you have accrued
- Write and file your lawsuit
- Complete all subsequent legal documents and appearances once your case begins
- Calculate and request the compensation you deserve
- Represent you in settlement negotiations and any necessary trial
- Defend your rights
The U.S. Census Bureau reports that there are nearly 150,000 residents in Savannah, plus the droves of tourists that contribute to traffic on Savannah’s roads each year. All motorists have an obligation to keep other motorists safe, and tailgating shows a disregard for others’ safety that may entitle you to compensation.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Possible Compensation After a Car Accident
A lawyer can help lead your fight for compensation. If you or a loved one suffers injuries in a car accident, you may be able to collect awards that cover:
- Any medical expenses that you can trace to your car accident
- Any future medical expenses resulting from injuries suffered in your accident
- The cost of your rehabilitation
- Any income you have lost to date because of your accident, as well as any income you may lose in the future
- The cost of pain and suffering from your accident
- Any additional losses that you would not have incurred if not for the actions of the person who caused your accident
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today
With the team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers on your side, you can focus on getting better – leave the rest to us. You may not have to pay any out-of-pocket costs* for our legal services, depending on the specifics of your accident.
To learn how a Savannah tailgating accident lawyer can start working on your behalf, call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?912-225-4600