Head-on collisions are dangerous accidents, resulting in catastrophic outcomes for both vehicles involved. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 10% of all accidents in 2017 were head-on collisions. These crashes can result in severe injuries or death.
If you or your loved one was hurt in a head-on collision, you could be entitled to compensation. As head-on collisions lawyers in North Charleston, we help accident victims understand their legal options. Learn how you may take action to pursue justice after your accident.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
We Will Prove How Your Head-On Collision in South Carolina Occurred
Head-on collisions occur in two ways – when drivers depart from their designated lanes or when drivers are going the wrong way. The following are some reasons why they happen:
- Not paying attention to traffic signs and signals, causing drivers to end up on the wrong side of divided highways or down one-way streets
- Passing/overtaking during an unsafe time, without clearly judging the distance of oncoming traffic
- Swerving to avoid potholes, road debris, stopped vehicles, or other incidental occurrences on the road
- Distracted driving (texting, tending to children in the back seat, changing the radio station, eating), causing the driver to drift away from their designated lane
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Fatigued driving or falling asleep at the wheel
- Bad weather conditions resulting in poor visibility
North Charleston Head-On Collisions Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Injuries Caused By Head-On Collisions
The severity of a head-on crash depends on the size of the vehicle and the speed of impact. If vehicles were moving at high speeds, such as on a freeway, this would likely result in a more severe crash. Often, there is little time for the driver in the correct lane to react and protect themselves during such an accident.
These are some injuries from head-on collisions that you could be suffering from:
- Head and brain injuries of varying degrees
- Broken bones, including limbs and ribs, possibly leading to amputations
- Cuts and lacerations, leading to scarring and disfigurement
- Internal injuries, such as organ damage or internal bleeding
- Neck and spinal cord injuries, possibly leading to disability
Head-on collisions are even more dangerous when one of the cars involved is a truck or other large vehicle. In these cases, occupants of the smaller vehicle suffer severe injuries. They are also more likely to die than occupants of the larger vehicle.
Suppose a passenger was not wearing a seat belt. In this case, it is likely that they were thrown towards the windshield at the moment of impact and suffered injuries or death.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!(888) 612-7001
Potential Recoverable Damages After a Head-On Collision
Every car accident is different. The circumstances of your crash will determine the compensatory damages that you can recover. An insurance company or the court/ jury awards these damages according to the degree of damage, the strength of your evidence, and the lifelong impact of the crash on the victims.
Some of the recoverable damages, according to the South Carolina Noneconomic Damages Act of 2005, include:
- Medical bills and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost income/ wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Disability and disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish/ emotional distress
- Property damage
The law sets out limits that guide our personal injury lawyer’s calculations, depending on your case’s facts. A head-on collisions lawyer in North Charleston can help you to ascertain fair value for your losses, depending on your injuries.
If you or your loved one was injured in a head-on wreck, a head-on collisions attorney in North Charleston can build your case and initiate negotiation (or litigation proceedings) on your behalf. It is critical to have a team of North Charleston head-on collisions attorneys representing your interests with the insurance company.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Steps to Take after a Head-on Collision
In the moments following a car crash, confusion, stress, anger, and pain can be overwhelming. It is, therefore, difficult to ascertain the steps to take. However, what you do in the moments and days following your car accident injury is crucial to the outcome of your personal injury claim. Learn what you should do after any car crash:
Check That You and Your Passengers Are Safe
Ask about where they feel pain to know what to tell emergency services. Based on their answer, judge whether or not to move them while you wait for the ambulance. If you are seriously injured, try not to move if you do not have to.
Call for Law Enforcement
As you call to ask for an ambulance, mention that the police should be dispatched to the scene. Call for emergency services, even if no one appears to be seriously injured. Any victim involved in the accident could have internal injuries.
Get Medical Attention
If you are badly hurt, it is okay to leave the accident scene to get medical attention. Even if you choose to wait for law enforcement, your next stop should be the hospital after you are cleared.
If you are not badly hurt, you should document the details of the accident scene to the best of your ability. This can involve performing the following actions.
- Get the license plate numbers all involved vehicles
- Get the information of all parties involved in the crash – license, insurance, and contact information
- Ask any witnesses to stick around and wait for law enforcement, or leave their contacts to pass to the police and your personal injury lawyer
- Take pictures of the damage to your car and the other cars and pictures of your injuries
Record a video on your phone and say everything you can think of while the account is still fresh in your mind. Do not recount these details to the at-fault driver’s lawyer or insurance adjusters until you have consulted with your lawyer. Avoid signing any written statements or meeting with insurance adjusters before getting legal advice on how to proceed.
A North Charleston Head-On Collisions Lawyer Can Help You Fight for Justice
Head-on car crashes could be the result of negligent or reckless driving. You could benefit from an extensive investigation by a North Charleston head-on collisions attorney. A lawyer who deals with head-on collisions and has the resources to litigate on your behalf could help you.
At the Law Offices of George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, we take on car accident claims and represent personal injury victims just like you. Our staff is available to offer a no-obligation case evaluation and advise you regarding your possible courses of action. You can reach out to us today to discuss your injuries and losses.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001