Driving while under the influence of alcohol is not only dangerous for everyone on the road, it’s also illegal. Unfortunately, this hasn’t stopped some people from getting behind the wheel after having consumed alcohol.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to a drunk driver, contact a drunk driving accident lawyer in Macon, GA, at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. Reach out to us to help you understand your rights and help you build your case.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
Drunk Driving in Georgia
The state of Georgia considers any driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) above .08% to be driving under the influence of alcohol. Drivers that are under the influence of alcohol can be charged with a DUI (driving under the influence). Being prosecuted for a DUI can bring with it criminal charges, steep fines, community service, and even jail time.
However, when the DUI driver has caused a car accident that has caused injuries to another person, the driver may also be sued by the victim for monetary damages under the state of Georgia’s civil tort laws.
Macon Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer Near Me478-220-4863
Most Common DUI Car Accidents
Georgia sees a wide range of car accidents, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) noting that more than 3,600 deaths between 2003-2012 in drunk driving-related accidents. However, the following are the most common scenarios when drunk driving results in injuries to other drivers:
- Drivers who consume alcohol in their own homes, and then leave to drive
- Drivers who leave bars or restaurants and then drive
- Drivers who leave social parties at either private residences or business establishments and then drive
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!478-220-4863
Drunk Driving Accidents Typically Result in Severe Personal Injuries
Due to the reckless nature of a drunk driver, drunk driving accidents typically result in catastrophic and severe personal injuries to victims. This means that if you were involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, you likely have injuries that are serious, permanent, or even life-threatening.
Significant injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, internal organ damage, paralysis, and wrongful death can occur.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Seeking Compensation for Personal Injuries Due to a Drunk Driving Accident
The state of Georgia will allow people who are personally injured due to the recklessness of a drunk driver to be compensated for damages through personal injury claims in a court of law. A drunk driving accident attorney in Macon can also help you pursue punitive damages to punish the at-fault party.
Parties Can You Sue in a Drunk Driving Accident Case
There are several different parties you can sue to receive compensation for your damages in a drunk driving accident case in Georgia. The following are the most common entities we can help you litigate against in your drunk driving accident case.
- Drunk driver. If the driver had a blood alcohol concentration above .08, then they will be charged with drunk driving. Even with a lower blood alcohol concentration, the driver may be charged with driving while impaired.
- Bar, restaurant, or another establishment. The state of Georgia has stated that any bar, restaurant, store, or establishment that sells alcohol to someone that is visibly and noticeably intoxicated, and knowing that they would likely drive a vehicle, can be held legally responsible for the harm and damages that the drunk driver causes. This law is called “dram shop liability” (Ga. Code §51-1-40)
- Social hosts. People often host gatherings at their homes that include alcohol. If a private social host has a party and serves alcohol to a guest that drives drunk and causes an accident, the host may be liable and ordered to pay damages to the victims of the car accident. This law is called “social host liability”
- Negligent entrustment. If the owner of a vehicle allows a person under the influence of alcohol to drive their vehicle when they know that they were intoxicated, they can also be responsible for any damages that were caused by the drunk driver.
- Employer. Under the legal doctrine of respondeat superior, if the drunk driver was acting within the scope of employment at the time of the accident, it is possible that the employer can also be held responsible and be liable for compensation for any injuries related to the drunk driving accident.
Call a drunk driving accident attorney in Macon, GA, at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers to help you determine which of the above can be held liable and responsible for the compensation for your personal injury and damages.
Drugs and Prescription Medications
While drunk driving is defined as someone under the influence of alcohol, being under the influence of drugs or being impaired by a legal prescription medication can also make someone a less safe driver.
In these instances, if you have been injured by a driver that is under the influence of drugs or another substance, you will still have the right to compensation for your personal injuries.
Contact a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Serving Macon, GA
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, it is possible that your injuries are severe. We can help you understand and navigate the complex strategy of determining which parties were negligent and are liable for your injuries.
You have the right to compensation for someone else’s negligent decision to drive drunk. Contact the drunk driving attorneys serving Macon, GA, at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers by phone or online today for your free consultation.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?478-220-4863