If you are disabled and trying to obtain Social Security benefits or considering your options for filing for SSDI, you probably have a lot of questions. You may have already been denied and are wondering why, after all your years of hard work and paying out taxes to the government, you are being denied disability benefits you have rightfully earned. You may be asking what it takes to prove you are disabled, or what you have done wrong in the disability claims process.
The truth is, even if you file your claim correctly, the Social Security Administration denies the majority of initial claims. Your claim is more than likely to be denied with the rest of them. However, just because you have been denied does not mean you are not eligible for SSDI. With the help of a knowledgeable attorney, you can increase the likelihood of winning your case and receiving the benefits you deserve.
You may be wondering what an attorney can do for you that you can't do for yourself. There are several reasons why you should get a lawyer to handle your SSDI claim:
- An attorney can make sure Social Security has all of your medical, vocational, and other relevant documentation to prove your case. Paperwork often gets lost and the SSA doesn't take extra measures to gather all your documents. A lawyer can make sure everything is filed correctly and on time.
- A lawyer can apply complex Social Security regulations to the unique facts of your case in order to make the best argument in support of your claim.
- Your attorney can look for the possibility of re-opening previous filings that you did not appeal, potentially resulting in more back benefits that you might not have even known you were entitled to on your own.
- The disability claims process is lengthy and complex. An attorney can look for ways to expedite your hearing office decision.
- An experienced SSDI attorney can represent you at a hearing before an administrative law judge, including cross-examining any medical and vocational experts that may be testifying.
Above all, hiring a lawyer to handle your disability claim could help you get ALL the benefits you deserve.
If you have questions or concerns regarding SSDI benefits, you can contact the legal team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, who can provide useful information about the Social Security Administration's process for awarding disability benefits and help you understand if you have a valid claim.