Ensuring your tires are in good condition can help protect against car accident s. As a Charleston car accident attorney , I want people to know that properly maintained tires can prevent vehicles from sliding on wet and icy roads, and protect against blowouts.
You've probably learned the penny trick, where you place a penny upsidedown into the tire tread and if any of Lincoln's head is showing, or if you can read the "In God We Trust" inscription, it's time for a new tire.
There are also prevention tips to prevent a tire blowout:
- Maintain proper tire pressure
- Observe tire and vehicle load limits
- Avoid road hazards like debris in the road
- Inspect tires for cuts, slashes and other irregularities
- Grip wheel tightly at the first sign of trouble
- Do not slam on the brakes
- Let vehicle slow down gradually by taking your foot off the gas pedal
- On the Interstate, work your vehicle toward the emergency lane or exit
- Signal your intentions to drivers around you and move over slowly and carefully