Mopeds are an economical and convenient way to get around the Midlands, but careless and negligent drivers can turn a quick trip into a nightmare. Because mopeds move much slower than other vehicle traffic and because riders do not have the protection as other vehicles, the injuries sustained in a moped accident can be serious.
If we can prove a negligent driver caused your Columbia moped accident, the personal injury team from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can help you file a claim and try to recover compensation to pay for your accident-related expenses and losses. We offer free consultations and will discuss your accident with you with no obligation to enlist our help with your case.
Call 803-999-2993 to meet with a moped accident lawyer in Columbia, SC.
Recoverable Damages After a Columbia, South Carolina, Moped Accident
While moped accidents typically happen at low speeds, the accident can result in catastrophic injuries. Spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, and lasting impairments are all common. These injuries require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
The nature and severity of injuries play a significant role in determining victim compensation, and we will not be able to put a number on what a fair settlement might look like until after we fully investigate your accident. However, we can tell you the types of damages you may be able to recover if we can win your case. This could include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance transportation, treatment, and hospitalization
- Prescription medications, including pain management
- Ongoing and future care costs
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Repair or replacement of your moped
- Replacement of your helmet or any damaged personal property
- Physical pain damages
- Emotional suffering
- Mental anguish
- Other noneconomic damages
In some cases, we may also ask for another type of damages, known as punitive damages. If we take your case to court and the judge believes the negligent motorist acted intentionally or in an especially heinous way, they may award this type of damages above and beyond your compensatory damages.
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Columbia Moped Crash
While moped riders can certainly cause their own accidents, we find that many motorists fail to see them because of careless or reckless driving habits, and this is one of the most common causes of these crashes. When we investigate moped accidents for our clients, some of the most common ways we see motorists causing moped crashes include:
- Distractions inside the car, such as the radio or children
- Texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Inattentive or careless driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to check for oncoming vehicles before opening the door when parked on the street
We will need to prove how the motorist acted negligently, and how this caused your injuries in order to hold them liable and collect compensation for your expenses and losses. We will also need to demonstrate the full range of your damages, including documenting the nature and severity of your injuries.
Getting to the Bottom of Your South Carolina Moped Crash
As a part of handling your Columbia moped accident case, we will conduct a full investigation into how your accident occurred and the role everyone played. As a part of this process, we will:
- Request copies of the police report and other documents.
- Identify and collect all available evidence.
- Conduct a survey of the accident scene.
- Analyze the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as other evidence.
- Enlist the help of an accident reconstruction team to learn what caused your accident.
- Prove your injuries with your medical records.
- Understand your future care needs with the help of medical experts.
- Document your full range of expenses and losses.
Completing this type of information gathering and investigation is the only way we can build a strong case to fight for the compensation you need. Once we understand what happened and who caused your crash, we can pursue an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Navigating the Claims Process After a Columbia Moped Accident
It is possible to settle moped accident cases without ever going to court. South Carolina auto insurance laws require motorists to carry liability insurance that pays out to cover the injuries and property damage of the innocent victims in accidents. We can file an insurance claim based on this coverage and may be able to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurer.
This process requires us to:
- Calculate a fair settlement range based on our investigation into your case.
- Send a demand letter outlining our case and your damages.
- Counter the insurance company’s counter offer if it does not cover your losses.
- Engage in aggressive settlement negotiations.
- Draft a settlement agreement and handle recovering your compensation, when possible.
If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement or denies our claim outright, we have the resources necessary to litigate your case. We will not hesitate to file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent motorist, asking the judge to award you compensation to cover your full expenses and losses.
Talk to a Moped Accident Lawyer in Columbia, SC, About Your Accident
At George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, our personal injury team can review your moped accident. We will help you understand your rights to compensation and if you may have a viable case for compensation. We handle these cases based on contingency, so you pay us no legal fees until we recover a payout for you.*
Call our Columbia office today at 803-999-2993 for a free consultation with a moped accident lawyer in Columbia, SC.