Seeking Justice for Victims of Greenville Car Accidents
Car accidents are a fact of life on Greenville’s busy roadways, including US-25, US-276, and the heavily congested I-85 corridor. As one of the largest cities in South Carolina, the greater Greenville area sees nearly 14,000 car accidents each year, per the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS).
If you’ve been the victim of an auto accident in the Greenville area due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve the best legal representation. The experienced Greenville car accident attorneys at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers will fight to get you the compensation you need and deserve, so you can focus on what matters: healing and working to regain a reasonable sense of normalcy in your life. Call us at 864-407-4000 or
request your free consultation
to get started today.
Greenville Greenville Car Accident Attorneys Lawyer Near Me 864-407-4000
Find Out More About Your Greenville Car Accident Case
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!864-407-4000
What Should I Do Immediately After a Car Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Greenville, take these steps to keep you and your family safe and to build the strongest possible case. Immediately after an accident, you should:
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries.
- Get to safety.
- Contact the Greenville Police Department by calling 911, and make sure to get a police report. Never admit fault when talking to the police.
- Exchange information with other parties.
- Document every aspect of the crash. If safe to do so, take pictures and video of the scene from multiple angles, including any hazards, skid marks, etc.
- Notify your insurance company, but never accept a quick lowball settlement.
- Contact the experienced Greenville auto accident lawyers at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Why Hire a Greenville Car Accident Attorney?
If you’ve been the victim of a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, a qualified Greenville car accident lawyer can help in many ways. The experienced Greenville car accident attorneys at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers will work hard to get you the best settlement possible. This means thoroughly investigating your accident, gathering evidence, and building a strong case. From filing your insurance claim to negotiating your settlement, our team will use our resources and experience to seek the best results possible. Our team will:
The aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to go through this alone. Our team of Greenville car accident attorneys will be your partner every step of the way, and we will be there to answer any questions you may have during the litigation process.
When Should I Contact a Car Accident Lawyer?
It is in your best interest to contact our Greenville car accident attorneys as soon as it is safe to do so after your accident. A car accident can be a confusing and traumatic event. You and your family may be dealing with serious injuries, insurance companies may be harassing you to accept a lowball settlement, and there may be any number of complicated factors affecting your case. Our team of Greenville car accident lawyers are prepared to assess every aspect of your accident and determine the best way forward, so that you can get the compensation you deserve.
What Is the Statute of Limitations on a Car Accident?
The term “statute of limitations” refers to the state-mandated time limit for pursuing legal action after a car accident. It’s best to consult a Greenville car accident lawyer about the timeframe for your specific case, because there are many factors and circumstances that can alter it. The experienced team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers is happy to
review your case for free
and can help you determine how the statute of limitations may apply to you.
What Are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
The physical and mental consequences of a car accident can be severe. Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
Broken or fractured bones, burns, and other types of neck and back injuries are also common following car accidents. Whatever injuries you suffered, our Greenville car accident lawyers can help you pursue compensation for all related costs. Additionally, if you lost a loved one due to another driver’s negligence, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Who Is Liable for My Injuries in a Greenville Car Accident?
South Carolina car accident law also allows victims of car accidents to file personal injury lawsuits and hold the at-fault driver liable for all accident-related injuries and damages. Liability insurance is designed to cover the injuries and damages sustained by the victims of an accident caused by the at-fault party.
Under South Carolina law, motor vehicles must be insured. Your coverage must include:
- $25,000 for injury or death of a single victim
- $50,000 for all injuries or deaths in a single accident
- $25,000 for vehicle and other property damage
When we accept a Greenville car accident case, our team launches a full investigation to identify all at-fault parties and collect the evidence needed to prove their negligence, calling on accident reconstruction specialists and other professionals as needed. During this investigation, we may uncover:
The stronger the case we can build during our investigation, the better the chances will be that we will be able to hold the negligent parties liable for your economic and noneconomic damages. South Carolina also prescribes to the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, which means your compensation can be reduced according to the percentage of blame you share for the accident (and damages are very difficult to recover if you share more than 50% of the blame). Plaintiffs must be able to prove the following in order to establish negligence:
- The plaintiff was owed a duty of care, or an expectation that other drivers would behave responsibly
- The defendant breached that duty of care with negligent behavior
- Damages were suffered by the plaintiff as a result of this negligence
Once liability is established, this information and evidence can then be presented to the insurance companies or a court of law. If the at-fault motorist who caused your crash carried the required insurance, our Greenville auto accident lawyers can file a claim with their insurer and attempt to recover compensation on your behalf up to the limits of the policy, and in some cases, more.
Who Pays My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?
If you are injured in a car accident in Greenville, you may be treated at one of our local hospitals such as Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital or St. Francis Downtown, and treatment at these facilities comes with bills.
The at-fault driver’s insurance is ultimately responsible for covering the costs of your medical expenses, and you will need to file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. It is important not to accept a quick, low-ball settlement that can’t come close to compensating you fairly for your current and future medical bills.
That could mean using optional Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, Med Pay coverage, or your own health insurance while your claim is being negotiated. We recommend contacting our team of Greenville auto accident attorneys before accepting an offer from your or another person’s insurance company.
What Happens if I Don’t Have Auto Insurance?
Drivers are required to carry auto insurance in South Carolina, and if you are in a car accident while uninsured, you may be personally liable for the other driver’s damages.
Driving without car insurance is also a misdemeanor, and conviction can carry significant financial and criminal penalties. For first-time offenders, a conviction for driving without insurance carries a fine of up to $200, plus $5 per day for every lapse in coverage. There are other expenses, including reinstatement fees, as well. For a second offense, you could face a potential jail term of up to 30 days. Finally, a third or subsequent offense will lead to a jail term between 45 days and six months.
What if the At-Fault Party Doesn’t Have Car Insurance?
Just because the at-fault driver is uninsured doesn’t mean you can’t be compensated. South Carolina requires drivers to have uninsured motorist coverage equal to minimum liability limits ($25,000 for one victim’s injuries, with a $50,000 cap per accident, and a $25,000 limit for property damage). If you are properly insured, you should follow the usual claims process after a car accident. Your own insurance will process the claim.
Optional underinsured coverage can also help in these situations. If necessary, we can file a lawsuit against the negligent, uninsured driver to recover compensation for your injuries, property damage, and other losses. However, the likelihood of receiving compensation from an uninsured driver is limited, because many uninsured drivers are in that position because they cannot afford insurance. Therefore, they are unlikely to have significant personal funds or assets to compensate you.
What Damages Can I Pursue After a Greenville Car Accident?
A car accident can turn every aspect of your life upside down in an instant, and you deserve to be compensated for the losses you have incurred through no fault of your own. Every accident is unique, and our Greenville car accident attorneys will assess your case and fight to get you the appropriate damages. The types of damages we pursue may include:
- Current and future medical bills, including long-term care costs: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may require emergency care at the time of the accident, follow-up treatment or surgery, and ongoing medical care for months or years to come. You could also be left with permanent disability. Your settlement should compensate you for medically necessary care you’ve required since the crash and any you will need in the future, such as:
- Emergency room visits
- Ambulance rides
- Diagnostic testing
- Doctor visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home care
- Lost wages, diminished earning capacity, and missed benefits or promotions: If you or an injured loved one cannot return to work, or has diminished capacity to work, your income losses can be substantial and lifelong. Our Greenville car accident lawyers can help you recover compensatory damages for this lost earning potential, loss of benefits and future raises, and more.
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle: The cost of repairing your vehicle can vary depending on its condition before the crash. You may be entitled to recover the full value of your vehicle, less depreciation. However, some insurance companies may try to reduce this amount by claiming that your car was in poor condition before the crash. After a serious crash, your car will likely be totaled. But your insurer may offer you less than your car is worth. This is why it’s important to hire a Greenville car accident attorney who knows how to negotiate with insurance adjusters. Our car accident lawyers are experienced in handling property damage claims and can help you get the full value of your vehicle as part of your accident claim.
- Non-Financial damages: You can’t put a price on some losses, and we recognize their value in your injury case. These damages can be especially complicated to calculate and prove, which is why it pays to have an experienced Greenville car accident attorney on your side. Our team knows how to build evidence to show that you suffered and deserve fair compensation. Your lawyer will help you put a number on less-tangible losses such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Wrongful death: A wrongful death lawsuit provides compensation to a family or family member who has suffered due to . The types of damages we can help recover as part of a wrongful death suit include, loss of companionship, loss of financial support, and punitive damages.
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the crash: We will fight to recover any out-of-pocket costs you were forced to pay as a result of the accident.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident?
We always fight to get the maximum recoverable damages for our clients, but it is difficult to estimate an average settlement. Every case is different, and we can’t guarantee comparable settlements for every client, we are proud of our track record of getting our clients the justice they deserve. Here are just some of our case results:
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Car Accident Case?
Every car accident that happens in Greenville is unique, and there are many factors that affect how long it takes to get a settlement. These include:
Car accident settlements can take a few months to a few years depending upon these variables. Our Greenville car accident lawyers will access your case thoroughly and are ready to stand by your side until it is resolved.
How Do I Get a Temporary Rental Car After an Accident?
The loss of transportation after an accident can be a major blow to your ability to meet work and family obligations.
Typically the at-fault driver’s insurance should be responsible for paying for your rental car. However, their insurance company may be slow to process your claim, or limit your rental to 5 to 10 days, which may not be enough time to repair or replace your normal vehicle. You can ask for an extension from the at-fault driver’s insurance, or contact your own car insurance company to ask if your policy covers a rental car in this situation.
If you are in need of a rental car following an accident, these are popular rental car companies in Greenville, SC:
What if I’m in an Accident in a Rental Car?
If you’re involved in a car accident in Greenville while driving a rental car, your personal car insurance may cover the damage. You should check your policy before renting a car to see if it includes rental car coverage. Certain credit cards also offer rental car insurance to card holders when renting a vehicle using the card. However, these policies may not include liability insurance, and you should contact your credit card company to check what sort of coverage they offer before renting a car.
Rental car companies generally offer additional insurance coverage for a fee. You are not obligated to buy additional insurance, but if you believe your personal auto insurance offers insufficient coverage, you might want to consider buying additional coverage from the rental car company. Be sure to verify who is covered. Some rental car insurance only covers the primary renter and their immediate family. If another driver is driving when an accident occurs, you might not be covered.
What Causes Most Greenville Car Accidents?
The most common causes of car accidents in Greenville fall into four main categories. By far, the most common is driving too fast for conditions, which was cited by the SCDPS in more than one-third of all Greenville car accidents in 2020. This means that the driver was driving too fast to control the vehicle under the specific adverse conditions of the road, such as weather, traffic, construction, or other hazards. Other common causes of car accidents in Greenville include failure to yield right of way, improper lane change and usage, and following too closely.
Our Greenville Car Accident Lawyers Are Ready To Serve Your Case
With its proximity to busy thoroughfares like I-85, US-25, and US-276, Greenville sees thousands of car accidents each year. If you’ve been the victim of a car accident in the Greenville area, our local auto accident attorneys are here to help. Our team will file your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit and use our experience to help you get the compensation you need and deserve in order to get your life back.
We’re proud of our track record of standing up for the injured, with over 50,000 cases (and counting) represented. We also work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we win or settle your case. Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers at 864-407-4000 or
request your free consultation
to get started today.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle in Greenville, SC
Our experienced team of Greenville car accident attorneys represents clients involved in all types of serious car accidents, including:
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?864-407-4000