There are many places to fish, boat, and enjoy water sports in South Carolina, and many people enjoy getting out on the water. However, with crowded lakes comes an increased chance of an accident. This is especially true when some of these boaters are careless, inexperienced, and/or drunk.
If you suffered injuries in a collision or other incident caused by a negligent boater, you may be eligible to take ;ega; action. A boat accident lawyer in Greenville, SC, from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can explain your options and handle your case.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
Recovering Damages in a Greenville, SC, Boat Accident Case
The types of damages you may be able to recover if we can win a settlement or verdict in your case depend on your specific expenses and losses. We can help you understand the types of damages that may be available to you after we investigate your case.
In general, some of the most common types of damages we can help our clients recover after a Greenville boating accident include:
Medical Care and Related Expenses
- Ambulance transportation from the scene
- Emergency department evaluation and treatment
- Hospitalization, treatment, and other care
- Prescription medication and pain relief
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Prescribed therapies
- Ongoing care costs
- Future care costs
- Adaptive and mobility equipment
Economic Expenses and Losses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Repair or replacement of your boat
- Replacement of other damaged personal property
- Loss of household support
- Out of pocket expenses related to the accident and your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Other emotional damages
Punitive damages are not available in every Greenville boat accident case, but the judge may award them in some cases if the at-fault party acted in an intentional or particularly reckless way.
These damages go above and beyond the losses you experienced and can be significant. They punish the at-fault party for their behavior in an effort to prevent it from happening again.
Wrongful Death Action
If your loved one passed away in a Greenville boat accident, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death action and attempt to recover compensation based on your own damages. This may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Other out of pocket costs
- Your own mental anguish
- Certain losses
Greenville Boat Accidents Lawyer Near Me864-407-4000
Negligence and Liability in a Greenville, SC, Boat Accident Case
Before we can try to negotiate a settlement or argue for a winning verdict, we need to prove the person we accuse of causing your accident acted in a negligent way and is truly liable for your damages.
There are innumerable ways a careless or reckless boater can cause an accident on a Greenville lake. Some of the most common situations our boat accident attorneys see include:
- Lack of experience on the water
- Lack of experience in the type of boat
- Boating while drunk or drugged
- Distracted or generally careless boaters
- Excessive speed
- Reckless boating such as attempting risky maneuvers on the water
- Failure to see smaller vessels such as kayaks, tubes, and even swimmers
A boat accident lawyer in Greenville, SC, from our firm can help collect evidence to try to prove negligence and liability. This requires us to take a number of steps to investigate exactly what happened, analyze the evidence we have available, and ensure we have documentation to show:
- The other boater had an obligation to follow certain rules to keep everyone safe.
- They failed to follow those rules.
- Their failure caused your accident and injuries.
- You suffered physical and financial harm because of this accident.
Once we have this evidence and have built a strong case showing negligence and liability, we proceed to trying to recover the compensation you need by filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!864-407-4000
Navigating the Greenville Boat Accident Claims Process
Many boaters have liability insurance that covers their boat. This is usually their homeowner’s policy. However, some people do carry separate umbrella policies for their boats.
If a rental company rents the boat, there may be a corporate liability insurance policy in effect. If we can identify an insurance policy that covers the boater in question, we may be able to help you recover compensation for your damages without going to court.
We will attempt to negotiate a fair settlement based on the value of your losses and expenses. However, there may be some situations where we need to pursue a personal injury lawsuit instead. This includes cases when:
- There is no applicable insurance policy.
- The insurance company denies our claim.
- The insurance company refuses a fair payout.
- There are other facts specific to the case that make litigation more appropriate.
If we take your case to court, we will be with you every step of the way. We will represent you and will argue for a verdict in your favor.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Talk to a Boat Accident Lawyer in Greenville, SC
At George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, we offer free case evaluations for boat accident victims. We can help you understand your rights and go after the compensation you deserve.
Our boat accident lawyers in Greenville, SC, offer free case reviews. We can meet you in the hospital, at home, or at another convenient location. Call us today for your complimentary consultation.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?864-407-4000