The question of “how to find a car accident lawyer” has a few answers. You may locate a car accident lawyer by:
- Asking any lawyers that you already know for referrals
- Asking friends and family to recommend a lawyer
- Conducting your own research on the internet, over the phone, or in person
- Participating in free consultations before hiring a car accident lawyer
Note that you want a personal injury lawyer for a car accident case.
What Criteria Should You Use When Vetting Lawyers?
To find the right personal injury lawyer, you must know what to look for. You may consider a lawyer’s:
Many personal injury lawyers specialize in car accidents. If the lawyer you consider does not regularly handle car accident cases, you might want to search elsewhere.
Having car accidents as a practice area suggests that:
- The lawyer has prior experience with car accident cases.
- The lawyer understands the process of completing a car accident case.
- The lawyer may have case results for car accident cases.
You do not want your lawyer trying a case type for the first time.
Many law firms make their case results available. If a lawyer has a record of winnings – especially fair settlements and judgments – you know they can get the job done. You may not hire a firm only for their results, but it is important in your decision.
To determine a lawyer’s experience, you may ask:
- How many car accident cases have you handled?
- What percentage of your practice’s resources goes towards car accident cases?
- When was the most recent car accident case that you completed?
- For how many years have you handled car accident cases?
Experience is a plus when it comes to hiring a car accident lawyer.
Reviews are a useful tool for making decisions of many kinds. They are just as useful when seeking a car accident lawyer. Past clients use review sites to leave their most honest thoughts – good and bad.
You must decide how much credence to give client reviews. This is one of several ways that you may evaluate prospective lawyers.
You should be more than comfortable with your lawyer. This person will handle your case from start to finish. You must be confident that they will:
- Act in your best interests
- Put their all into your case
- Remain in contact with you throughout your case
- Defend your rights and dignity
- Fight for the compensation that you deserve
Only you can gauge your comfort level with a lawyer or firm. Use your free consultations wisely. How the firm treats you during your consultation may be how they treat you throughout your case.
You should also know how much a lawyer charges and how they collect their fee.
Many personal injury lawyers use the contingency-fee* structure. Rather than collecting upfront payment, the firm receives a percentage of your financial recovery. You should know what percentage the firm claims and what they will do to earn that cut.
How to Prepare For Consultations with Car Accident Lawyers
Consultations allow you the opportunity to:
- Have face-to-face or over the phone interactions with a law firm
- Ask any questions you have
- Directly vet the law firm
- Provide useful information to the firm
Firms you consult with may ask for certain information. You may want to have these details ready before completing your consultations. By being as specific as possible, as you receive more useful information from law firms.
Firms may ask:
- What injuries you have suffered
- How severe your injuries are
- How your injuries have negatively affected you
- Whether you have certain types of evidence or documentation
- Whether you know who is responsible for your car accident
These are important questions – don’t worry if you do not have the answers, though. The law firm that you hire will gather all the necessary details for your case.
What Should You Expect From a Law Firm?
Having realistic expectations may help you grade prospective law firms. Car accident lawyers typically should:
- Offer a contingency fee
- Handle as much of your case as possible
- Help you with medical appointments and other case-related responsibilities
- Use in-house resources (experts, investigators) to help with your case
- Respond quickly to your emails and phone calls
- Provide empathetic legal care
- Negotiate tenaciously
- Never settle for less compensation than you deserve
You, also, should not settle for anything less than quality representation.
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers For Your FREE Consultation
Car accident claims can be complicated, time-consuming, and stressful. As a car accident victim, you have enough on your mind. Focus on getting better and leave the rest to us. Our case results show that we have secured millions for car accident victims.