Car accidents can be frustrating experiences. Not only are you left to deal with the initial shock of the unexpected, but you may also be dealing with a painful injury and significant property damage. A car accident can derail your plans for days or months, and unfortunately for some with very serious injuries, for an even longer time thereafter.
Then there is the legal aspect of your accident: who will pay for the costs of your medical care? Who will pay to repair your car? What about the wages you have lost from not being able to work?
There is a lot to worry about, and you might not know where to begin. That is why the South Carolina car accident lawyers at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers are on your side. When you work with us, we do everything it takes to help you get through this overwhelming time in your life as quickly as possible. It is our goal to bring you the maximum amount of compensation that you are entitled to under the circumstances.
Because we want you to be prepared, we’ve put together information you need to know in case you are ever involved in a car wreck. Not only is it important for you to know what to do immediately after an accident, but it is also beneficial to know what to expect days and even weeks afterward.
Keep the following tips in mind immediately after an accident:
- Check to see if you or any of your passengers have been injured, then call for medical help if needed.
- While it may be tempting to panic in the chaotic aftermath of an accident, it is important to remain calm. When speaking to the other driver, be polite, but do not say anything that could be taken as an admission of guilt.
- Even if the accident does not seem serious, it is important to contact the police. When they arrive, they can put together a police report with evidence of your accident. This can be useful for establishing the basis of your claim later on.
- Collect as much evidence as you can. Take photos or videos of your injuries and/or damage to your vehicle, and gather the other driver’s insurance, license, and contact information. Also, if there were any eyewitnesses, take down their names and contact information.
Days and weeks after your accident, it is important to remember:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Symptoms of injuries can take time to manifest themselves, so see a doctor the moment you suspect you might be hurt. Whiplash is common in even the minor collisions, and failing to get it checked out by a doctor could result in pain and other complications later on.
- Report your accident to your insurance company as soon as you can, but avoid talking to an adjuster from the other driver’s company until you have consulted with an attorney from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers.
- Call a lawyer from our firm as soon as possible, as South Carolina does have a time limit on personal injury claims.
Car accidents can be devastating, but our lawyers can help you get the compensation you need to put your life back together. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for your FREE consultation. We serve accident victims throughout Charleston, Columbia, and South Carolina from multiple office locations!
*Information on this website is not legal advice. Reviewing the information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship with the law firm.