With a recovering economy and cheap gas prices, more Americans are taking to the road. As a result, roadways in South Carolina and throughout the country are often packed. While traffic is an inevitable part of driving, drivers can still do their part to reduce slow traffic.
Here’s how you can help limit traffic jams:
- Don’t slow down to look at an accident on the side of the highway. This is called rubbernecking, and it can dramatically slow down traffic. It can also increase the likelihood of another accident occurring since it takes your eyes away from the road in front of you.
- Slower vehicles should move to the right. The left lane of highways is meant for traffic moving at the speed limit. Slow moving vehicles driving well under the speed limit are required to move over to the right in order to let other vehicles pass.
- Avoid excessive lane changing. Changing lanes doesn’t actually get you to your destination any faster, and it can increase your chance of colliding with another vehicle. This is especially true at highway speeds.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Avoiding situations in which you have to break too much is not only convenient for you, but it’s also good for traffic. Maintain a three-second following distance from other vehicles to avoid creating chain reaction stop-and-go traffic that slows everyone down.
- Be courteous at bottlenecks. Use what is called the zippering technique when approaching a bottleneck. One car from each lane should be able to merge smoothly, alternating between lanes. Take turns and leave enough space to avoid crowding someone out and causing other drivers to brake.
When drivers work together and practice courtesy, they can help everyone get to their destinations with less delay.
If you have questions about your rights after a preventable car accident, contact George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers to request a FREE case evaluation. Our goal is to get you maximum compensation in minimum time! Fill out an online formto get started, or call our office at (888) 612-7001. We serve clients throughout the state of South Carolina.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001