For many, Labor Day weekend has come to symbolize the unofficial end of summer. As a three-day weekend, it also gives Americans the chance to celebrate one last time before the Fall weather sets in. Whether you plan on hitting the road for a weekend getaway or staying home and celebrating with family and friends, George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers wants you to stay safe!
Statistics from the National Safety Council show that Labor Day Weekend sees high rates of preventable accidents, injuries, and deaths – both on the roadways and at homes across the country. In fact, 2016 is expected to be one of the deadliest Labor Day weekend in years due to a higher than average rate of fatal traffic accidents during the first six months of this year. At the current rate, experts are saying that the number of fatalities this year could exceed 40,000 for the first time in nearly a decade.
To help you and your loved ones stay safe this holiday weekend, our South Carolina personal injury lawyers have put together a few helpful safety tips:
- Roadway Safety – The National Safety Council predicts that 438 people will be killed over the three-day Labor Day weekend beginning September 2, 2016. The Council recommends that drivers always wear seatbelts and avoid distractions like cell phones while driving.
- Vehicle Safety – In addition to obeying the rules of the road, it is important to make sure your vehicle is fit for travel. Make sure to check your vehicle’s fluids, brakes, and lights before going on a trip. It is also a good idea to take your vehicle to a mechanic for a quick inspection. If you have an older vehicle, you may want to consider renting a car with up-to-date safety features if you plan on driving a long distance. Before your departure, you should also make sure cargo and luggage is properly secured.
- Water & Pool Safety – Since Labor Day weekend is the unofficial end of summer, pool parties are common. Make sure that water safety is a priority, and that children are always supervised around and in the water. Even strong swimmers should never be left unattended.
- BBQ Safety Tips – What’s Labor Day weekend without a barbecue? If you’re planning on grilling, make sure that your grill is properly cleaned to avoid grease fires. Be sure to also set up your grill in an open area away from structures, trees, and other flammable hazards. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of an emergency, and be sure to supervise children and pets at all times when the grill is lit.
- Drinking Responsibly – Holiday weekends see some of the highest rates of alcohol-related accidents and injuries than any other time of year. If you plan on drinking, please do so responsibly and plan for a ride. Remember, law enforcement officers will be on high alert for motorists driving under the influence, so always play it safe.
Our legal team hopes that these tips help you, your family, and your friends stay safe this holiday weekend. If you have questions about preventable accidents and the rights of injured victims, call a South Carolina personal injury lawyer at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers at (888) 612-7001. We’re available to help clients throughout South Carolina!
Request your FREE case reviewtoday.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001