In today’s market, safety features are a huge priority when it comes to buying a new car. Many consumers often purchase a vehicle based on how well it protects its passengers in the event of an auto accident. Additionally, insurance rates often depend on the safety rating of your vehicle; you could save hundreds on your car insurance premiums by purchasing an Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick award winner. The following vehicles were deemed the safest vehicles of 2013, according to ratings and tests performed by the IIHS and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 2013 Dodge Dart – With 10 airbags and top ratings in nearly all crash tests, this medium-sized sedan is truly one of the safest cars on the market.
- 2014 Ford Focus – For consumers looking for a small car with all the safety features, this electric vehicle has top-tier passenger safety ratings.
- 2013 Ford Fusion – This car is equipped with accident-avoiding features like blind-spot monitors, helping drivers steer clear of potential collisions.
- 2014 Honda Accord – This popular coupe has an extensive list of available safety features and a stronger internal structure, achieving higher crash-test ratings than any other mid-sized sedan.
- 2014 Kia Optima – Another popular, affordable sedan, the Optima is also equipped with blind-spot detection and other safety features.
- 2013 Nissan Altima – While last year’s Altima did not make it into the list of highly-ranked safety picks, this year’s Altima is safer than ever with everything from a rearview camera feature to a blind-spot detection system.
- 2014 Subaru Outback – Receiving high safety ratings from both the IIHS and the NHTSA, the Outback is, once again, one of the safety family vehicles you can buy.
- 2014 Volkswagen Passat – While it lacks some advanced safety options offered by the vehicles above, the Passat still received great crash-test performance scores in terms of passenger safety.
- 2013 Volvo S60 – With excellent crash-test scores and advanced safety options like Driver Alert Control, Lane Departure Warnings, and blind-spot detection systems, this vehicle has earned top ratings across the board.
- 2013 Volvo XC60 – Like the S60, this Volvo is also equipped with advanced safety systems to help you avoid accidents entirely.
When purchasing a new car, it is important to take safety features into consideration, as well as their effect on auto insurance premiums. Protect your passengers – and your finances – by selecting a vehicle that’s right for your lifestyle and driving habits. It is also important to remember that even the safest vehicles get into accidents , and injuries can still occur. If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident – no matter how many airbags deploy – make sure you seek medical treatment immediately. For more information regarding vehicle safety and car accidents, you can talk to an experienced member of our legal team. We are available 24/7 and can meet you in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, or anywhere in South Carolina to discuss your rights and options, free of charge.