Posted on: March 5, 2014
With summer now in full effect, George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers would like to wish all South Carolinians an enjoyable, fun, and safe season. Whether you and your loved ones are gearing up for backyard pool parties, the lake, or the beach, we’d like to remind you about staying safe when enjoying the water this summer.
The summer is the perfect time to escape the heat and enjoy water activities. Although many of us have been enjoying the state’s beautiful beaches, pools, and water recreation for years, it is still always important to refresh your memory on water safety, especially if you have children.
Because we want everyone to be safe around water this summer, we’ve put together a few helpful safety tips:
For a free legal consultation, call (888) 612-7001
Staying Smart Around Water
- Learn to Swim – If you’re planning on being near the water this summer, be sure you, your children, and other loved ones are comfortable with swimming. There are many community classes offered to help young children and adults learn how to swim.
- Supervision – Supervision is important at both private and public pools. Make sure you or someone you trust is nearby. Taking a friend along with you is also safer, and more fun , than swimming alone.
- Know Your Limits – Make sure you know your limits when swimming. Don’t push yourself and be on the watch for children who take things too far. Be careful of being too tired, too cold, or too far from safety.
- Diving Safety – Always be careful when diving. If you’re not sure how deep the water is, don’t dive.
- “Horseplay” & Running – Horseplay can quickly get out of hand, so be careful of pushing or dunking, especially with children. Of course, you should always walk – not run – around the pool.
- Weather Safety – When swimming outdoors, keep an eye out for bad weather, including dark clouds or lightning. Take the fun somewhere else if you see it.
- Pool Fences – Fences and gates are strongly recommended for pool owners, especially when children are around. Experts recommend four-sided fencing around pools.
Beach, Boating & Water Park Safety
- Beach Safety – South Carolina has some of the nation’s best beaches. Enjoy them just as you would any water activity. Make sure children are supervised and comfortable with their swimming. Also, watch out for currents, as they can be unpredictable. If you get caught in a current, don’t fight it. Swim parallel to the shore until you pass through it.
- Water Parks – Read all signs at water parks to ensure that you have fun safely. Make sure kids are tall and old enough for rides and always walk – not run – around the park.
- Boating & Water Sports – Life jackets are must when boating, fishing, rafting, jet skiing and doing other water sports. If you plan on drinking, make sure to designate a sober driver. Boating under the influence causes numerous preventable injuries and deaths each year.
Our South Carolina personal injury lawyers hope you and your family have a fun and safe summer. While we hope that these tips are helpful and no one gets hurt, we’re always available to help victims and families who suffer preventable harm. You can learn more about our services by contacting our firm for a free case review.