Truck accidents are responsible for thousands of injuries and fatalities every year in the U.S. In South Carolina alone, truck accidents killed 373 people between 2005 and 2009 (SCDPS). While there are regulations in place to help reduce the risk of accidents involving large trucks, a recent study has shown that some states have higher rates of truck-related injuries and deaths than others do.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has collected data measuring the total number of large trucks involved in fatal accidents compared to the total amount of vehicles for 2012. During that year, trucks were responsible for approximately eight percent of all fatal crashes in the U.S.
The study reveals the following information about truck accident injuries and fatalities in 2012:
- A total of 697 truck drivers died in collisions, with more than 25,000 injured
- A total of 381 non-occupants, including pedestrians and cyclists, were killed in truck crashes, with 3,000 more suffering injury
- The total number of deaths in 2012 reflected a four percent increase over the previous year
- North Dakota has the highest ratio of truck-related deaths
- Texas has the highest percentage of deadly truck accidents in the nation
- The states with the highest risk of death due to truck accidents include North Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, West Virginia, Indiana, and Minnesota
- The states with the least risk of death caused by truck accidents include Massachusetts, Hawaii, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Connecticut
While South Carolina may not have the highest risk of tractor-trailer accidents compared to the rest of the country, the fact is that accidents can happen anywhere at any time. Just look at these 2009 truck accident statistics from the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS):
- In 2009, there were 67 fatal truck accidents across the state.
- In total, 71 victims died in fatal trucking accidents.
- 1,057 victims suffered reportable injuries.
If you have suffered an injury or lost a loved one as a result of a truck accident, our team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers is standing by to help hold those who caused your accident responsible for their carelessness.
Schedule a FREE Consultation With a Truck Accident Attorney Today!
Accidents happen frequently on South Carolina roads and highways, and when they do, you can trust that the truck accident lawyers from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers will be there to fight for you. We’ve helped over 40,000 South Carolinians throughout the years, and this includes many victims and families who had their lives changed by wrecks involving large commercial trucks.
We are committed to helping people just like you obtain justice, and if we can’t make a recovery, you pay absolutely nothing. There is no up-front cost to begin your case and consultations are always FREE, so don’t hesitate to call us now at (888) 612-7001!