Recently, our firm put together an infographic breaking down South Carolina’s alarming motorcycle accident statistics. If you are a South Carolina driver, we remind you to please be diligent out on the road. Always watch out for motorcyclists, and never drive in a way that would endanger another person. While there of course is some inherent risk in operating a motorcycle, many accidents are the result of other people failing in their duty to share the road.
Here’s what you should know about motorcycle accidents in South Carolina:
- In 2010, there were 1,819 motorcycle crashes – reflecting a 5.8% increase over the previous year – injuring 1,984 people and resulting in 81 fatalities
- The average age of a South Carolina motorcycle accident victim is 41 years old
- Motorcycle accident account for 7.7 percent of all traffic fatalities
- There are 15.9 fatalities for every 10,000 registered motorcycles
- Motorcyclists are 25 times more like to be involved in a fatal crash than other drivers
- Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle accidents, with 74% of fatalities involving a traumatic brain injury
- The average ER visit after a motorcycle collision was $4,901, with the average cost of a hospital stay at $78,825
- The majority of motorcycle crashes occur in April and May, with nearly 57% of accidents occurring on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- More than 90 percent of motorcycle fatalities involve men
Leading Causes of South Carolina Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents have a number of causes, many of which are through no fault of the motorcyclist. In South Carolina, our poorly maintained roads and highways, which are currently in an appalling state of repair, are a common cause of accidents. Negligent drivers are another common cause of collisions with motorcyclists. Drivers who fail to check their blind spots, fail to follow a safe distance behind motorcyclists, or who choose to unsafely turn in front of an oncoming cyclist are to blame for a number of serious and sometimes fatal accidents. Because motorcycles are so much smaller and lighter than other vehicles, and do not provide riders with any external protection, accidents often result in catastrophic injury or loss of life. In cases like these, the careless driver who caused the accident can and should be held responsible for the victim’s losses.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident or have suffered the loss of a loved one in a fatal collision, George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers may be able to help you recover compensation for your losses. With decades of experience and an exemplary history of past success, you can be confident in our ability to bring you the money you deserve – FAST! If you can’t come to us, we’d be happy to arrange a meeting with you in the hospital or at your home.
For immediate help, call our office 24/7 at (888) 612-7001. Case evaluations are FREE!
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers serves clients throughout South Carolina from locations in the following cities: North Charleston, Greenville, Columbia, Moncks Corner, Walterboro, Anderson, Spartanburg, Orangeburg, Florence (by appointment only), and Myrtle Beach.