Due to the serious forces involved in a car accident, victims can face several injuries after a crash – some of which are more visible than others. If you’re dealing with mild, moderate, or severe symptoms of a headache after an accident, you should seek medical treatment immediately.
Some victims may be concerned about paying for medical care before they receive settlement money, but getting medical attention is one of the most important things you can do. Not only will your medical care get you started on your recovery, but it will create an important record linking the accident and your injuries.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
What Does It Mean If I have headaches After an Accident?
Whether you start feeling the onset of a headache immediately after the crash or in the days and weeks to follow, this symptom isn’t one to ignore.
Known as post-traumatic headache, car accident victims may be having head pain for many reasons. A medical professional should examine you as soon as possible to identify the cause of your headache, which could include:
- Whiplash: This is a common neck injury that victims of car accidents report, and it may include a number of other symptoms beyond headaches, from dizziness to limited range of neck motion (per Mayo Clinic).
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): TBI is an umbrella term for brain injuries that result from direct or indirect forces on the head. These injuries range in severity, but concerning symptoms of a TBI include loss of speech, drowsiness, and temporary loss of consciousness.
- Concussion: Generally a mild or moderate form of TBI, concussions involve changes to your normal brain function. Other symptoms include confusion, nausea, and ringing in the ears.
- Intracranial hematoma: This is a more serious TBI, as the condition can be life-threatening if not treated immediately. This injury happens when blood starts collecting in the skull. You may feel headaches of increasing severity over the course of days or weeks along with vomiting and confusion.
- Injuries to the upper neck and back: Some injuries that involve the neck and upper back, such as whiplash, can lead to headache symptoms.
- Spinal injuries: Some injuries to the spine leave victims with severe pain not only in the back and neck, but also the head (per Mayo Clinic).
It can be hard to know the underlying cause of your symptoms without medical help. A doctor can tell you why you’re having post-traumatic headaches and what you can do to treat them.
Serious Complications Can Result If Initial Head Injuries Go Untreated
Unfortunately, some of the conditions above can start off with the simple symptoms of a headache but can ultimately progress into something more severe.
- Untreated whiplash can result in severe neck pain, pain that spreads to the arms, and compromised range of motion.
- Untreated concussions can lead to vertigo or thinking difficulties over a longer period.
- Untreated intracranial hematoma can lead to death.
Of course, just because you have a headache after a car accident, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the most serious of the injuries detailed above. However, it’s crucial to get medical care to rule out the presence of serious conditions and prevent any further complications.
Take These Steps If You Have Headaches After a Crash
If for any reason you’re assisting someone who’s having post-traumatic headaches, or you’re alone with symptoms after an accident, the victim should lie down in a position that elevates the neck and head, if possible. If there’s bleeding, you can try to stop it by putting pressure on the wound.
Chances are, however, that you’re in the hours, days, or weeks following the crash. You’re likely considering your next steps for your health and injury case. We advise the following:
Get Medical Care and Follow Your Doctors’ Orders
As mentioned, immediately get medical care when you start having symptoms of an injury. This will:
- Create a link between the accident and your injury
- Show the seriousness of your injury
Then, if your doctor advises that you take certain medications, get diagnostic testing, attend follow-up appointments, or get physical therapy, do so. If you skip these recommendations, the insurance company could say you made your own injuries worse.
Be Aware of Low Settlement Offers From an Insurance Company
Insurance companies aren’t always on your side. They may attempt to contact you soon after the crash to make you an offer—which could appear generous until you realize that this is a lower settlement than you deserve.
If you work with a lawyer from our firm, you can learn what your case is worth from someone who handles these cases regularly. You don’t have to be alone in your case or leave money on the table.
Be Careful About What You Say
There are many situations after a car accident where your words can be used against you. For instance:
- On social media. Avoid making posts about the crash or giving updates about your injuries.
- In phone calls with insurance companies. Avoid giving any recorded statements or admitting fault. An insurance company may try to lead you to say things that will devalue your claim.
- Signing papers. You may be asked to sign an agreement to a settlement or other insurance documents. Have a lawyer on our team look at anything before you give it your signature.
One way to protect the value of your claim or lawsuit is to get a case review from our team. If you hire us, we can handle all the communications involved in a case for you.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!(888) 612-7001
Injury Victims Can Seek Compensation For Their Suffering Following an Auto Accident
A lawyer from our team can help you seek compensation if you have headaches after a car accident and for any other injuries that you endure because of another driver’s negligence.
Our attorneys can help you seek damages for:
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
If you hire us, we can investigate the details of your accident and injuries and determine the potential worth of your case. Then, we’ll handle all the legal details involved in negotiations or the lawsuit process.
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today For a Free Case Review
You don’t have to guess about what to do when you have injuries after a car accident. Our team is ready to help you learn your options for a recovery in Georgia and South Carolina.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001