If you have been injured on the job and are thinking about hiring a South Carolina Workers’ Compensation lawyer to handle your claim, there are a few things you should keep an eye out for when searching for the right attorney. Here are five qualities of a great workers’ comp attorney:
- Several years of experience devoted to workers’ compensation cases. As with any practice, experience in the field is incredibly important when it comes to measuring an attorney’s ability to handle your case. If he or she has been working primarily with workers’ comp cases for ten years or more, you are probably in good hands. It is a good idea to ask the attorney what other types of cases he or she focuses on to get a good understanding of his or her devotion to work injury cases.
- A clear understanding of your unique case and how the law applies in your specific situation. Your attorney should be a good listener and completely understand the facts of your case. While some workers’ compensation claims can be very similar, the tiniest details make your case unique. He or she may ask many questions to ensure no stone goes unturned. The lawyer should make you feel comfortable in his or her knowledge of the law and how it applies to your case.
- Transparency and great communication skills. Communication is very important when it comes to handling your workers’ compensation claim. If at any point throughout the claims process you have questions or concerns, your lawyer should be able to address those issues honestly and in such a way you have a clear understanding of what is going on, how it’s being handled, and what you may need to do. Legal jargon can confuse and frustrate you – an experienced attorney knows how to talk to clients to make them feel comfortable and confident.
- A proven success rate. Even the nicest attorney may not be able to win your case. Do your research or ask the attorney flat out – has he or she successfully settled other workers’ compensation cases like yours? Can you expect to get the money you deserve? It’s always a good idea to find a lawyer who has had several years of success in handling workers’ comp claims.
- Dedication and fearlessness. Possibly the most important characteristic of a great work injury lawyer: commitment. In most cases, if an attorney isn’t dedicated to winning your case, you won’t get paid and the attorney won’t get paid. The claims process can be complex, frustrating, and time consuming; a great worker’s comp attorney should handle the mounds of paperwork and hassling insurance companies without batting an eye. Choose a lawyer who is ready and willing to fight for you until the end.
Hiring the right attorney to handle your workers’ compensation claim doesn’t have to be a difficult process. Ultimately, you want to find a lawyer who makes you feel comfortable and confident that you will receive all of the compensation and benefits you deserve. If you have other questions concerning workers’ compensation, the claims process, or getting legal help, contact the knowledgeable attorneys at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers.