Don’t ignore chest pain after a car accident – no matter how minor the pain may seem. It may be indicative of a major medical emergency. Letting it go without consulting a doctor could make the pain or injury worse, possibly leading to permanent damage.
We encourage you to seek medical attention as soon as possible – not only for the sake of your health but also to prove to the insurance company that the car accident was a direct trigger of your chest pain. The longer you wait to seek medical care, the more difficult it may be to show this causal relationship.
For a free legal consultation, call (888) 612-7001
Chest Injuries You Could Suffer After a Car Accident
In many cases, according to Mayo Clinic, chest pain can feel like a dull ache or a burning or crushing sensation that can radiate through the neck, jaw, back, and/or arms. You could also have shortness of breath, trouble breathing or swallowing, persistent pain, or dizziness. If you’re experiencing this discomfort, it may be a sign of a chest injury, such as:
- Muscle strain
- Bruised ribs
- Fractured ribs or sternum
- Organ damage to the liver, spleen, kidneys, or heart
- Ruptured veins or arteries
- Heart attack
Causes of These Chest Injuries
The impact of a car accident can cause chest pain. Other factors may contribute to this pain, as well. To illustrate:
- Even though seat belts save lives, their force restraining you to your seat during the crash can cause bruising or fractures.
- According to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS), airbags have reduced driver deaths by 29 percent. However, they could also cause injury, as the impact of the airbags deploying may lead to rib fractures, bruising, or organ damage.
Diagnosis and Treatment For Chest Injuries
When you get treatment for your chest pain, the doctor should conduct a series of tests to get to the source of it. Per Mayo Clinic, these tests may include:
- Chest x-rays
- Blood tests
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- CT scan
How the doctor treats you will depend on your injury and its severity. Still, typical chest injury treatment involves surgery, medications, and plenty of rest.
The Importance of Seeking Medical Attention For Chest Pain After a Car Accident
If you are in any kind of pain after a car accident, it is in your best interest to get medical care immediately. Chest pain, especially, should not be overlooked. Letting it go untreated may worsen your condition and even prove fatal.
After your doctor has diagnosed you, follow their orders and advice exactly. It will ensure that you are on the right track to recovery. If you disagree with your doctor or feel like you are well enough to end your treatment early, let them know. They will evaluate your condition, and if they see that you are fit enough to revert to your previous lifestyle, have them write a statement detailing your release from treatment.
In addition to ensuring your health and safety, taking these small steps can make a world of difference in your case. They will exhibit that your chest injury was a direct result of the car accident. So, the other driver’s insurer may not have reason to argue your claim or refuse to pay it out.
You May Be Entitled to Recover an Array of Losses For Chest Pain After a Car Accident
In your insurance claim or lawsuit against the liable insurer, you will request compensation for the damages you sustained in the accident.
You may be eligible to collect:
- Past and future medical expenses: For your ambulance ride, medication, surgery, imaging tests, hospital stays, or follow-up doctor’s appointments
- Lost income: For the time you took off work to rest and attend doctor’s appointments
- Lost earning power: For the pay you won’t be able to earn if you can’t return to work
- Property damages: For car repair or replacement
- Pain and suffering: For the stress, discomfort, and pain from your chest injury
- Mental anguish: For the trauma you suffered from the car accident
If your loved one suffered a chest injury and passed away, you could take wrongful death action. You can claim compensation for their end-of-life treatment expenses, funeral and burial costs, and loss of services and consortium.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Start Working on Your Car Accident Case with George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today
Your health should be your first priority after suffering chest pain in a car accident. Then, allow the attorneys at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers to manage your case while you get treatment and recuperate. On your behalf, we will collect evidence, determine responsible parties, and negotiate for a fair settlement with the liable insurer.
We will provide our help for a contingency fee, so there is no payment due unless we win compensation at the end of your case. To begin your free consultation, connect with our firm today at (888) 612-7001.