The Thanksgiving Holidays bring millions of families together, which means that millions of people will be on the South Carolina & Georgia roads this weekend. Holidays don’t just mean higher traffic but also an increased risk of serious accidents and drunk drivers. Whether you’re driving to Charleston, Savannah, or anywhere else, make sure your family and all your passengers practice seat belt safety as you drive.
According to AAA’s statistical projections, this Thanksgiving will have the busiest highways yet. Around 48 million Americans will be travelling by car this year, a 4.8% increase compared to 2017. Families traveling through Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham can expect particularly long delays.
As experienced car accident lawyers, we have seen what can happen in an accident when someone forgets to buckle up. Your risk of serious injuries rises significantly, making what could have been a minor accident a life-changing event.
Make your Thanksgiving memorable for the right reasons by buckling up and practicing other forms of car accident safety in South Carolina & Georgia. If you aren’t yet convinced that buckling up every single time is the right choice, perhaps the following 5 facts will change your mind.
In 2017, There Were 463 Fatalities from Traffic Accidents Over Thanksgiving Weekend
Data from the National Safety Council shows that a staggering 463 people died from car accidents over last year’s Thanksgiving weekend period, which spans from Wednesday to Sunday. Projections based on past data suggest that there could be 433 road fatalities this year along with 49,400 people who could be seriously injured.
Periods of high traffic increase the risk of accidents while testing the patience of other drivers. Remember to keep calm, provide ample room to other drivers, and stay focused on making smart driving decisions.
Almost Half of the People Who Died in Car Accidents over Thanksgiving 2016 Weren’t Wearing Seat Belts
In 2016, 341 vehicle occupants were killed in car accidents, says the National Highway Travel Safety Administration (NHTSA). Nearly half (49%) of them weren’t wearing seatbelts. At night, the risk of a fatal accident if you’re not wearing a seatbelt rises even higher to 55%.
Seat Belts Saved 14,668 Lives in 2016
The NHTSA estimates that seatbelts saved the lives of 14,668 people in 2016 who would have otherwise perished in a serious car accident. If everyone practiced seat belt safety that year, an estimated 2,456 additional lives could have been saved.
Parents Who Buckle Up Teach Kids Good Habits
Tragically, young people make up a large portion of those killed in traffic accidents while not wearing a seat belt. The NHTSA found that, in 2016, 62% of kids 13-15 and 59% of young adults 25-34 years old killed in accidents weren’t wearing seat belts.
Good car accident safety habits start young, and they can be helped along by adults setting a positive example. An NHTSA study found that when parents don’t wear their seat belts, seat belt use among kids plummeted by 40%.
Most People in South Carolina Are Using Child Restraints Wrong
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety reports that only around 15% of people practice South Carolina child restraint safety properly. The rest — a whopping 85%! — are either using the wrong child restraint device or not using the device as intended.
Having the right seat and setup for your young child is critical for their travel safety. NHTSA studies indicate that, when used correctly, child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by 54% for toddlers and 71% for infants.
Be Smart, Use Your Seat Belt Safety in South Carolina, and Make It to the Thanksgiving Table in One Piece This Year
Our car accident lawyers have no desire to see you or your family members become a statistic this Thanksgiving. Remember to buckle up every person for every trip, whether it’s driving on the interstate to visit Greenville, SC or just going down the street to grandma’s house.
Take care on the road this Thanksgiving, and remember how thankful you’ll be if you’re wearing a seat belt should you get in a major accident during your trip.
If you are injured in a car accident this season, don’t hesitate to reach out to our car accident attorneys for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’re here to help you.