Drivers know not to run red lights, avoid stopping behind a school bus and not pass on a solid yellow line, but what about the other traffic laws you may not know about. Along with the basic traffic laws, some states carry unusual laws to ensure safety, avoid traffic backups or just keep the rats away, according to news reports .
Here are 10 unusual traffic laws and the states you better avoid violating them in, according to news reports:
10. It’s illegal to screech your tires – Kansas. According to law, acts that cause “unnecessary rapid acceleration, unnecessary tire squeal, skid, smoke or slide upon acceleration or stopping including the casting of tread, gravel, dirt or other road surface materials from the tires” is illegal. Violators
could be fined up to $500 and/or imprisoned up to 30 days.
9. It’s illegal to sleep in a public space – Eureak, Calif. Sleeping in the street, alley or sidewalk in Eureka could get you a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to six months in jail.
8. It’s illegal for pets to “molest” a vehicle – Fort Thomas, Ky. If your pet causes “annoyance, discomfort or injury to the health and welfare of persons in the community” including “molesting pedestrians or passing vehicles” you could be fined up to $500.
7. It’s illegal to park in front of the donut shop – South Berwick, Maine. Parking in front of the Dunkin Donuts on Main Street could warrant a fine of up to $175 and/or jail time of up to 30 days. The law is to ensure traffic wouldn’t be blocked near a school next door.
6. It’s illegal to swear in public – Rockville, Md. Swearing at the guy who just cut you off could warrant you a $100 ticket and/or jail time up to 90 days if other people hear you.
5. It’s illegal to drive a dirty vehicle – Minnetonka, Minn. Driving a “truck or other vehicle whose wheels or tires deposit mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or other material on any street or highway,” is illegal and could warrant a fine of up to $2,000, after a several warnings and other measures.
4. It’s illegal to take off your clothes in your car – Sag Harbor, N.Y. The popular beach town bans disrobing on the street, in your car or any public place. The law carries a fine of up to $100 and/or jail time up to three months.
3. It’s illegal to roller skate in the street – Canton, Ohio. If you ride “any coaster, toy vehicle, skateboard or similar device” on a Canton street, you may be ticketed up to $1,000 and up to six months in jail. Crossing the street, of course, is legal.
2. It’s illegal to leave your car door open too long – Oregon. Leaving your vehicle door open on the side of traffic, pedestrians or bicycle “for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.” The law carries a fine of $90 and possible jail time.
1. It’s illegal to have trash in your car – Hilton Head, S.C. It’s illegal to store trash in your car. You could get a $500 and/or jail time of up to 30 days if you ” place, leave, dump or permit to accumulate any garbage, rubbish or trash in any building, vehicle and their surrounding areas in the town so that the same shall or may afford food or harborage for rats.”
As a Moncks Corner car accident attorney , I always like to review traffic laws. I urge drivers to follow all road laws and know your local laws to ensure everyone’s safety and wellbeing. If you or a loved one has been injured in a traffic accident, contact a personal injury lawyer in Moncks Corner