While it seems most people should know it is important to seek legal advice in the event of an injury, many people do not know to contact an attorney . Some people don’t know any lawyers, or believe their insurance company will take care of them; many people just don’t think they really need a lawyer, and are hesitant to talk to one. Few people realize statistics show that those who hire an attorney to handle their cases get more money than those who do not hire an attorney.
If you have decided to hire a lawyer, here are ten questions to ask to ensure you are choosing the right one for your case.
- How much experience does your firm have in representing injured people?
- Have you ever been sued for legal malpractice?
- Are you covered by a legal malpractice insurance policy?
- Does your firm try lawsuits, or do you refer all your cases to other firms for trial?
- Will you copy me with everything you do on my case?
- Who can I contact with questions and concerns?
- What are the qualifications of the people assigned to handle the details of my case at your office?
- Who at your office will be communicating with the insurance companies?
- If I am not happy with your firm within the first 30 days, what is the process for releasing my case?
- Can you guarantee that your legal fee will not be more than the amount I receive after paying medical bills and case expenses?
Ultimately, you want to ask any and all questions regarding how you will be treated and how you can communicate with the law firm during the handling of your case. Experience, transparency, and availability are very important characteristics to look for when hiring an attorney.
Understandably, the amount you will receive in your settlement is very important, and you want to make sure your attorney will fight to get you the most money. Ask about attorney fees and other expenses up front so you can know what to expect. If an attorney can clearly and truthfully answer all of these questions, be confident that you are choosing the right lawyer for your case.
If you were injured and are trying to decide whether or not to hire a lawyer, contact the friendly, knowledgeable legal team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. We can answer these questions and more in a free, private consultation .