If you got hurt in a construction accident in Sumter, South Carolina, you are likely facing substantial losses. A construction accident lawyer serving Sumter, SC can help you explore your options for getting compensation for your injuries. George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can evaluate your construction accident and let you know if you might have a claim for your losses.
You might not be able to work while you recuperate from your injuries. Without a paycheck coming in, it can be difficult to pay the bills. We do not charge upfront legal fees in construction accident cases, so you will not have to stress about paying for legal fees out-of-pocket while your claim is pending. Our legal fees come out of the settlement or award at the end.
A construction accident lawyer in Sumter, South Carolina can help you go after compensation for your injuries. When George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers are on the case, you can focus your time and attention on getting well. Call us today for your free consultation.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
How Construction Accidents Happen
Because multiple activities take place at the same time, there are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong on construction sites. You do not have to be a construction worker to get hurt at a job site. In addition to employees of the owner, general contractor, and subcontractors, other people like vendors, suppliers, and bystanders can sustain injuries.
Some of the common ways in which people get hurt in construction accidents are:
- Falling from a higher elevation like a scaffolding, crane, rooftop, ladder, or unfinished level of a building.
- Getting struck by a falling object like tools, equipment, and building materials.
- Being on or under an object like a crane, ladder, or scaffolding that collapses.
- Malfunctioning defective equipment.
Sumter Construction Accidents Lawyer Near Me803-402-3164
Recovering Compensation for a Construction Accident
In almost every case, you will be eligible to recover workers’ compensation benefits after a Sumter, SC construction accident. South Carolina’s workers’ compensation benefits will cover your medical bills and a portion of your lost wages, but not much else.
If your injuries are severe and another party (aside from your employer) contributed to or caused your accident, you may be able to file a third-party claim.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!803-402-3164
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Sumter, SC Construction Accident
We will investigate to find out what caused the construction accident that hurt you. Because so many different people and companies work on a job site, there are quite a few possible defendants. Sometimes several mistakes by multiple people combine to cause an accident.
Some of the potential defendants in a Sumter, SC construction accident claim include:
- The project owner
- The general contractor
- The manufacturer of defective equipment
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Legal Theories for Construction Accident Liability
Most construction accidents are the result of negligence, but sometimes other factors create the possibility of different or additional legal grounds for holding someone responsible for your injuries. To succeed under the theory of negligence, we must prove all four of these elements:
- Duty of care. The person whose carelessness caused the accident must have owed you a legal duty of care. For example, a construction subcontractor has a duty to hire and use appropriately trained and experienced people to operate its cranes.
- Breach of the duty of care. When a person or company fails to meet their legal duty of care, it is negligence. If, for example, a subcontractor hired an inexperienced crane operator to work at a construction site, having an unqualified person work as a crane operator at a construction site is negligence.
- Causation. The act of negligence must be the thing that caused the accident that harmed someone. If the crane operator’s lack of experience caused the equipment to topple over and injure people, the facts satisfy the causation element of negligence.
- Damages. When you suffer physical injuries in an accident, you have satisfied the damages element. Once we prove the physical injuries, we can go after additional damages, like pain and suffering.
- Products liability. A manufacturer can be liable for harm caused by defective products. For example, if a power tool malfunctions and hurts someone because of a manufacturing defect, the company that made the power tool can be responsible for the injured person’s losses.
- Strict liability. Sometimes the law holds parties responsible when people get hurt in hazardous situations, like construction sites. The project owner and general contractor might be liable even if they were not careless.
You do not have to figure out which legal theory to use when pursuing a claim for compensation for a construction accident. A construction accident lawyer in Sumter, SC at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers will take care of those matters so that you can work on recuperating from your injuries.
Damages Available in Sumter, SC Construction Accidents
The amount of compensation you can recover will depend on the facts of your case. Every situation is unique. We can answer your questions about damages and let you know what to expect.
Some of the common losses in construction accidents include:
- Lost income, for the time you lost from work without pay because of the accident. These damages can include lost wages, salary, self-employment, and other income.
- Diminished earning capacity, if you cannot make as much money as before the accident, because of your injuries
- Medical expenses, such as the cost of the ambulance, emergency medical care, surgery, doctors, hospital, emergency room, prescription drugs, and physical therapy
- The rehabilitation center, if you sustained devastating injuries, like spinal cord damage or traumatic brain injury, that required treatment at a specialized facility
- Long-term care, if you will require care for years or the rest of your life
- Pain and suffering
- Other intangible losses, like disfigurement, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss of enjoyment of life, and your spouse’s claim for loss of consortium
Getting Help from a Sumter Construction Accident Attorney Today
A construction accident attorney in Sumter, SC can help you go after money damages for your losses. We can explain your legal options and walk you through every stage of the claims process. We handle construction accident cases and contingent fee basis, which means that we do not charge you upfront legal fees and we do not get paid until you win.
Do not be intimidated by the construction company’s insurance company. We can deal directly with them on your behalf. Call us today for your complimentary consultation.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?803-402-3164