Any car accident is a frightening experience. You may be feeling scared, angry, overwhelmed, or all of the above. You do not have to add the stress of managing a lawsuit on top of that. Put your case in the hands of a Greenville animal crossing the street accident lawyer.
Call the Greenville office of George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, so that we can get started on your case as soon as possible.
For a free legal consultation with a animal crossing the street accidents lawyer serving Greenville, call 864-407-4000
Fault and Insurance Coverage for Animal-Related Accidents
If an animal crosses the road in front of your vehicle, your first instinct is likely to swerve out of the way. This can cause you to lose control of your vehicle with destructive consequences, regardless of whether or not the animal was hit.
Wild and domestic animals alike can damage your car. It is not the animal’s fault that they walked into the street as your car was approaching. In one-vehicle accidents involving wildlife, like deer or foxes, there may not be a responsible party you can sue. However, a municipality may be responsible if the area around where your accident occurred is a high traffic animal crossing (and should be marked as such).
If the area is a designated crossing for animals like deer, for instance, there should be a sign stating so. If the sign fell or was stolen and was not replaced, the municipality could be liable for its failure to maintain the sign.
But what about cases involving pets? According to S.C. Ann. §47-3-10, it is illegal for a dog owner to allow their pet to run loose. Unfortunately, not everyone follows this law, putting both their dog and the community at risk.
Something else to consider is whether or not your car insurance will pay for car repairs or replacement after an animal crossing the street accident. According to the South Carolina Department of Insurance, comprehensive car insurance policies will often cover damage to your own car caused by hitting an animal. However, not everyone has such a policy, as it is not required by law.
Even if you do have comprehensive coverage, there is no guarantee that your insurer will accept your claim. If your insurance company denies your claim, you may end up having to fight them for the compensation you deserve.
Greenville Animal Crossing the Street Accidents Lawyer Near Me864-407-4000
Economic and Noneconomic Damages
Deciding to file a lawsuit is one thing. Deciding how much to ask for is something else entirely. You may be entitled to compensation for a variety of things. Below is a brief list of what kinds of damages you may consider asking for and what each of them means.
Economic damages refer to compensation for any money you lost due to the accident. Examples of economic damages include:
- Loss of wages or earning capacity. The accident caused you to miss work or permanently affected your ability to earn a living.
- Loss of financial support. You were financially dependent on someone who passed away as a result of the accident.
- Vehicle expenses. Your car was damaged or totaled in the accident, requiring you to pay to fix it, rent a new car in the meantime, and/or buy a new car.
Noneconomic damages are often harder to calculate, but they are no less important or valid. They are compensation for the non-financial toll the accident had on you and your family. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering. You were physically, emotionally, and/or psychologically harmed by the accident
- Loss of companionship or guidance. Your spouse passed away as a result of the crash, depriving you of their presence and your child(ren) of their parent’s support
- Disfigurement. The accident left you permanently scarred and/or disabled
The above is not a comprehensive list. Not all of these items will apply to you, and you may be eligible to receive other types of economic and/or non-economic damages not mentioned here. A Greenville animal crossing the street accident lawyer will go over your case in detail to ensure they identify every type of compensation you are entitled to.
In many cases, insurance companies will want to settle out of court. They will offer you a settlement for the economic and non-economic damages you filed for. You can accept their offer if you feel it is fair, but you are not obligated to do so. If you believe their offer is insufficient, you can take the case to court.
What to Do After an Accident
The most important thing you can do after an accident is take care of yourself. If you were injured, see a doctor and follow all of their instructions. If your car was damaged, take it to a garage for repairs.
Not only will this help you get your life back on track, but it can also help your Greenville animal crossing the street accident lawyer build your case. Going to a doctor and a repair shop generates a record. Your lawyer can then collect and present this record before a jury to convince them to decide in your favor.
Developing a strong case is just one service that George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can provide for you. We can also:
- Be there for you 24/7. If you ever have a question for us, a member of our team is available to address your concerns, day or night.
- Negotiate on your behalf. The insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible. We will represent you at meetings with the insurance company and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- Go to court. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement or denies your claim altogether, we will represent you in court. You do not have to face them alone.
It is normal to feel uncertain and conflicted in the wake of an accident. George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers has the commitment and motivation to fight for you every step of the way. Call our Greenville office for a free assessment of your case.