Nursing home residents have rights, as outlined in S.C. Code § 44-81-40. Violations of those rights are criminal matters, and perpetrators must be held accountable. They can also be sued for damages in a personal injury claim or lawsuit, which is a situation that requires skilled lawyers.
If you suspect that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, it’s time to contact the personal injury lawyers at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. Our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers serving Georgetown, South Carolina, offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Georgetown, call (888) 612-7001
The Face of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It’s painful to imagine that the one you care so much about has fallen prey to an abusive situation. It’s especially difficult to comprehend given the precautions you thought you’d taken in choosing the best facility.
It is important to understand the various types of nursing home abuse and neglect so you can keep your loved one safe and well-cared for.
- Physical abuse: Physical pain or harm perpetrated against a senior such as shaking, pinching, or slapping as well as unnecessarily restraining.
- Sexual abuse: A non-consensual sexual act imposed on an elder, which could include actual intercourse or forcing one to watch others in the act.
- Emotional abuse: A situation created either through verbal or nonverbal intimidation tactics, such as isolating or humiliating a person which results in anxiety or fear.
- Financial abuse: Taking another’s property or assets without consent, stealing personal items, or forging a signature to withdraw funds or change ownership of assets.
- Neglect: Failure to provide sufficient care in regard to shelter, medication, nourishment, clothing, hygiene, as well as failing to maintain the safety of a vulnerable adult.
Georgetown Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
The Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
While not every bruise or spot of dirt on clothing is a sign of abuse or neglect, it is in your loved one’s best interest that you take notice of certain patterns which could point towards nursing home abuse or neglect. You want to ensure he or she remains happy and healthy.
The following list includes some of the ways abuse and neglect can be identified:
- Physical abuse: Burns, bumps, lacerations, bruises, burns, or a sudden change in mood or behavior
- Sexual abuse: Breast, thigh, or genital bruising, stained undergarments, unexplained STDs
- Emotional abuse: Unexplained depression or sudden withdrawal from regular activities
- Financial abuse: Unexplained changes in finances or missing cash or personal items
- Neglect: Over or under medicating, poor hygiene, malnutrition, and dehydration
Steps to Take When You Suspect Abuse or Neglect
In an Emergency
If you suspect the situation is immediately threatening to your loved one’s health and wellbeing, contact 911 for assistance. The first responders are trained to evaluate, stabilize, and transport your loved one to a hospital. If your elder does require emergency services, make sure you get a copy of the paperwork for documentation of what transpired.
In a Non-Emergency
- Collect and organize all relevant documentation, such as medical records, photographs of injuries, and personal statements.
- Construct a formal letter that details your concerns. Send it to the nursing home’s administrator by certified post so that you have a record of receipt.
- Contact South Carolina Adult Protective Services in Georgetown County at 1-843-546-5134.
- File a report with local law enforcement.
- Call our firm to speak with a Georgetown, SC, nursing home abuse and neglect attorney.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney Can Help You
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers proudly serves the Georgetown, South Carolina, area and is available to meet with you at one of our offices, or your home if transportation is an issue.
A nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Georgetown, SC, will listen to the details of your situation and guide you through the possible legal options so you can make the most informed decision. Our initial consultation is always free, so you will never feel pressured to make an immediate decision.
Each situation is different and there are no guarantees on the final outcome of your particular case; however, we have a strong record of recovery. We do provide you with our assurance that we are a dedicated team of lawyers committed to achieving the maximum compensation for our clients. Our attorneys are aggressive in pursuing those responsible for their heinous actions in order to hold them financially liable.
We know there is no way to undo the loss you’ve suffered. However, we do believe that recovering compensation for the financial burden you incurred as a result of someone else’s abuse or negligence can help to alleviate your situation. Contact us today to get started.