Many families make the decision to move their loved one into a nursing home in order to provide them with the care that they deserve. So when that residence fails to provide your family member with a safe living situation, it is normal to be angry.
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and neglect is all too common. The only way to improve the safety of the nursing home system is by regularly monitoring your loved one and reporting any suspicion of abuse or neglect.
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers is here for you and your family during this tough time. Our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers in Simpsonville, SC, are standing by to help.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Simpsonville, call (888) 612-7001
Identifying Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Because nursing home abuse and neglect often occur behind closed doors, it is important to be aware of the common signs of nursing home abuse.
- Physical abuse: Bruises, broken bones, falls, or unexplained injuries.
- Sexual abuse: Inappropriate comments or harassment that is sexual in nature.
- Financial abuse: Missing funds or personal items.
- Emotional abuse: Fearfulness, anxiety, or depression.
- Fraud: Changes to bank accounts, credit cards, or healthcare.
- Neglect: Poor hygiene, increase in caregiver accidents, or weight loss.
- Wrongful death: Abuse and neglect can occasionally result in your loved one passing.
Physical abuse is not the only type of abuse that your loved one can suffer when in the care of a nursing home. If the nursing home staff denies them of their legal rights to medical care, healthy meals, or privacy, the state may also see it as abuse or neglect.
We can help you identify the symptoms of nursing home abuse and neglect. If you fear that your loved one may be in trouble, report the abuse and then reach out to our team.
Simpsonville Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Important Steps to Follow When You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse
Confusion following the suspicion of nursing home abuse is normal. You put your trust into the nursing home and its staff and they were neglectful. Don’t let your emotions prevent you from taking the appropriate actions following the suspicion of nursing home abuse or neglect.
- Report the incident: If you suspect that your family member is in immediate danger, call 911. If an immediate danger is not present, report the incident to the South Carolina Adult Protective Services department. You can also file a report via phone or email to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.
- Monitor your loved one closely: It is important to continue looking for any additional signs of abuse that your loved one is facing. Be ready to take action if an emergency presents itself.
- Reach out to a nursing home abuse and neglect attorney in Simpsonville, SC: You and your family may be eligible for compensation to cover the expenses of the abuse. These costs can help with relocation, counseling services, or any necessary medical care.
How Our Legal Team Can Help With Your Nursing Home Case
You should not have to go up against the nursing home alone. Our team of Simpsonville, SC, nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers will fight with you every step of the way.
Report the Incident
A public report of abuse or neglect can severely ruin a nursing home’s name. Because of this, they may attempt to hide the incident. We will help you report the abuse or neglect to the appropriate parties so you and your family can seek the justice you deserve.
Additionally, by reporting the incident, you can prevent the same thing from happening to another resident.
South Carolina allows us to recover the damages that your loved one has faced as a result of the abuse or neglect. The actual amount will depend on many things, including the severity of the incident, the actual damages suffered, and how the abuse will affect their future.
We will include the following types of damages:
- Medical care and rehabilitative costs
- Mental health care
- Payment of stolen funds or property
- Relocation costs
- Pain and suffering
Build Your Case
It is important that we collect all information that supports your case. We need information that identifies the abuse took place and also determines the extent of your loved one’s injuries. Depending on the type of abuse, it may also be important to show how the abuse or neglect will affect everyone going forward.
We will build your case with the police report, state report, witness statements, medical records, expert witness statements, and, if possible, image or photograph evidence of the incident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your Case With a Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyer Serving Simpsonville, SC, Today
Learning that your loved one was the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect is not only unimaginable but also overwhelming. You are paying the nursing home and its staff to provide your loved one with the same care that you would offer them when at home.
Our team will help you find justice while also fighting for the compensation that your loved one deserves. George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers serves the local community, bringing awareness to elder care mistreatment.
Call us today or fill out our online form to discuss the details of your case during a free consultation with a Simpsonville nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer.