If an animal crosses the street and causes an accident, some considerations that may be important to your case include:
- Whether the animal was wild or domestic, and whether the owner of a domestic animal can be identified
- Whether you struck the animal, swerved to avoid the animal, or were in a vehicle struck by another motorist because of the animal in the road
- The type and extent of losses that you or your loved one has suffered
A legal team may provide guidance and answer any questions you have after they review the facts of your accident. Learn how a Savannah animal crossing the street accident lawyer may help you resolve your post-accident obligations.
For a free legal consultation with a animal crossing the street accidents lawyer serving Savannah, call 912-225-4600
Savannah Wildlife Could Cross a Road Near You
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) lists several animals that reside in the Savannah region. Wildlife that you might find crossing any given road in Savannah include:
- American alligators
- Other types of wildlife that reside in bottomland hardwoods and freshwater marsh environments
You may be more susceptible to encountering wildlife in less urbanized areas of Savannah, but there is no telling when a wild animal might cross a road that you are traveling on.
A report from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) states that preventative measures, such as fencing, may help protect drivers from coming into contact with animals on the road. Still, such measures cannot offer a guarantee that animals will not enter the roadway.
Savannah Animal Crossing the Street Accidents Lawyer Near Me912-225-4600
Driver Behavior That May Lead to an Animal Crossing the Street Accident
There may be several steps that a motorist may take to avoid striking a wild animal, such as swerving dangerously. However, some behaviors that might hinder people from spotting a wildlife crossing and avoiding an accident in time include:
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Being distracted while driving, whether by a mobile device or any other source causing inattention
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which may lead to risky behaviors, poor judgment, and slow reaction times, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Driving in poor weather conditions or at night without headlights on
The specific details of an accident involving an animal, either wild or domestic, may determine who is responsible for the outcome of the collision. A Savannah animal crossing the street accident lawyer may be able to observe the specifics of your case and take appropriate action on your behalf.
Understand Who May Have Liability in Animal Crossing Accidents
A motorist may be held liable for an accident if they swerved to avoid a wild animal and struck another motorist, pedestrian, or bicyclist. However, if the animal was a domestic animal with an identifiable owner, the owner could be held liable for some or all of the damage resulting from the collision.
Therefore, you may have a case to pursue compensation if:
- You were struck by a motorist who swerved to avoid an animal in the road, whether that animal was wild or domestic
- You swerved to avoid a domestic animal in the road and caused damage to your own vehicle and possibly another vehicle or piece of property
- You sustained or caused injuries while avoiding a domestic animal in the road
You may want to speak with a legal professional about the details of your accident, as every case may have unique implications in terms of compensation and liability.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How A Lawyer May Assist You With an Animal-Related Lawsuit
A law firm may be able to help you in several ways if you or a loved one was involved in a collision involving a domestic or wild animal. Your legal team may be able to:
- Explain statutes governing liability as it pertains specifically to your accident
- Help you identify who may be liable for any injuries and related losses that you suffered because of your accident
- Investigate the circumstances that caused the animal to be in the road, including any failures by an animal’s owner that may qualify as negligence
- Write and file your lawsuit
- Consult experts to provide testimony on your behalf
- Negotiate a settlement
- Take your lawsuit to trial
- Argue your case for fair compensation
- Defend your rights
Damages You May Collect After a Savannah Animal Crossing The Street Accident
If your lawsuit culminates in a settlement or judgment in your favor, you may be able to collect compensation for:
- Your healthcare costs
- Any income you lost because of the accident
- Pain and suffering resulting from your accident
- Any negative effect that the accident has on your earning power
- Any additional losses that you suffer because of the collision with an animal or another vehicle
- Any losses that were caused by you striking another vehicle, but for which another party, such as a domestic animal’s owner, could be responsible
A lawyer may strive to obtain the compensation that you may be entitled to collect on your behalf.
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today
You may find assistance from a Savannah animal crossing the street accident lawyer beneficial if:
- You are recovering from accident-related injuries
- You are mourning the loss of a loved one
- You do not have prior legal experience
- You would not wish to bring a lawsuit on your own for any reason
A lawyer may be able to handle your legal needs while you focus on getting better. Call the team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation. Do not wait to call, as time may affect your ability to bring a lawsuit in pursuit of injustice.