According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a passenger vehicle is a motor vehicle (other than a motorcycle) that is specifically intended to carry up to nine passengers.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), occupants in passenger vehicles accounted for 63% of the 36,560 traffic-related deaths in 2018. Many more suffered injuries in accidents involving negligent drivers, distracted drivers, speeding, and aggressive drivers.
If you or a loved one was hurt in this type of accident, a Myrtle Beach passenger vehicle accident attorney from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can help. We provide a free phone consultation to quickly evaluate your claim and explain if you may have a right to compensation for the damages you suffered.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
Types of Passenger Vehicles
According to the IIHS, passenger vehicles fall into the following categories:
Cars represent the largest number of passenger vehicles. Cars vary in length and weight, with some of the smallest being 70 square feet in size and weighing about 2,000 pounds and the largest being more than 110 square feet in size and weighing more than 4,000 pounds.
In the book Improving the Compatibility of Vehicles and Roadside Safety Hardware, the author states that the first factor that affects the potential outcome of a motor vehicle collision is the mass of the vehicle. The lighter the vehicle, the more likely it is for crashes to lead to serious injuries or death.
Cars represent the lightest type of passenger vehicle and make up the largest number of vehicles in which traffic-related fatalities occurred. They represented more than half of the traffic-related deaths that occurred in 2018, according to IIHS.
During the last few decades, SUVs have become a favorite of car purchasers due to their more spacious design. Auto manufacturers have been able to leverage the latest technology to help these vehicles get better gas mileage than in previous renditions and also update SUV safety features.
Sport utility vehicles fall into the following categories:
- Small: These vehicles weigh between 3,001 and 3,750 pounds.
- Midsize: These vehicles weigh between 3,751 and 4,750 pounds.
- Large: These vehicles weigh between 4,751 pounds and 5,750 pounds.
- Very large: These vehicles weigh more than 5,750 pounds or are more than 115 square feet in size.
About 22% of the passenger vehicle occupant deaths that occurred in 2018 happened in SUVs.
Pickup trucks make up the least-popular type of passenger vehicles. About 19% of fatal passenger vehicle accident victims in 2018 were riding in pickup trucks.
Myrtle Beach Passenger Vehicle Accidents Lawyer Near Me843-779-1777
Steps to Take After a Passenger Vehicle Accident
Whether you were the driver or a passenger in a motor vehicle accident, there are steps that you should take after an accident in the days following a passenger vehicle accident to protect your rights and the value of your claim. After calling the police and seeking medical attention, you can begin building your claim by:
- Requesting a copy of the police report: Once the report is finished, you should follow the law enforcement officer’s instructions on how to obtain a copy. You will need this report to file a claim.
- Keeping track of your medical records: In the days, weeks, and months following a car accident, you may accumulate hundreds of medical documents, including doctor’s notes, follow-up care instructions, lab results, imaging results, and bills. Keep these documents organized.
- Following your doctor’s orders: While you may be anxious to get back to work and your normal life, follow your doctor’s orders and take it easy so that you do not worsen your injury.
- Filing a claim: You can file a claim with the insurance company that covers the at-fault driver, but do not agree to give a recorded statement, since insurance companies may only ask for this as a way to negatively affect your claim.
- Speaking with a legal professional: A passenger vehicle accident lawyer in Myrtle Beach from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers may be able to protect you during this process. Provide him or her with the evidence you have collected, as well as any pictures or videos you took of the accident scene.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!843-779-1777
How We May Be Able To Help
Our personal injury lawyers may be able to provide you with legal representation during this challenging time in your life. Some of the ways in which we may be able to help include:
Investigating the Accident
We can conduct a thorough investigation into your accident and potentially identify all parties who may be liable for your accident. We may also be able to gather evidence to establish liability and the full extent of your damages.
Accident victims are often surprised to find out how long they will require medical treatment, how their job is affected, and how long they can expect to experience pain and other adverse consequences due to an accident.
Personal injury lawyers who routinely deal with these issues are often better able to accurately estimate damages that victims suffer, which may include:
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle and other personal property that was damaged in the accident
- Past and future medical expenses, including ambulance costs, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and medication
- Lost wages for the time you were off work
- Lost earning capacity if you were not able to return to the same job after your accident
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Dealing With the Insurance Company
The last thing that you want to deal with after an accident is a pushy insurance adjuster who calls incessantly and tries to undermine your claim. Our passenger vehicle accident lawyers in Myrtle Beach may be able to handle all communication with the insurance company and potentially negotiate a fair settlement for your claim.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Contact Us Today for Your Free Consultation
If you or your loved one was injured in a passenger vehicle accident, George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers may be able to help. Our Myrtle Beach passenger vehicle accident lawyers can be with you with every step of the process. Get started by calling us or filling out our online contact form today.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?843-779-1777