When a death occurs in a family, it can be devastating, especially if it was abrupt and did not result from natural causes. If another person’s negligence or intentional actions caused your loved one’s death, do not suffer in silence. A Mount Pleasant wrongful death lawyer can help you hold the at-fault party accountable for all your damages. Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers for a free evaluation of your case.
We understand the pain of losing a family member, so we will try to help ease the suffering by offering you a chance to get justice and closure.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Mount Pleasant, call (888) 612-7001
Wrongful Death Claim Defined
A wrongful death claim is a civil action made after a loss of life that results from another person’s neglect, wrongful act, or default. (Legal Information Institute) Circumstances that led to the loss of life should be such that the deceased would have filed a personal injury claim had they survived.
A wrongful death claim is a way of filling a claim on behalf of the deceased loved one.
The most common causes of wrongful death include:
- Medical malpractice or negligence, such as nursing home abuse
- Car, motorcycle, bicycle, bus, truck, and pedestrian accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Defective products
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace mishaps, such as construction site accidents
It can be challenging to prove some of the above accidents without swift action and legal representation. Keep in mind that the person who would have otherwise offered more insight into the accident’s cause is dead. A Mount Pleasant wrongful death lawyer will preserve crucial evidence and conduct an independent inquiry into the true cause of death.
A wrongful death lawyer can help you investigate what killed your loved one. Furthermore, you will also receive assistance in identifying all the at-fault parties and taking proper legal action.
Mount Pleasant Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Seeking Compensation for a Wrongful Death
When pursuing justice for the death of your loved one, you need to meet all deadlines and file the right documents according to the law’s requirements. These cases can be complex. It may be best to consider hiring legal representation to help navigate the legal process.
If you are considering filing a suit or pursuing an out-of-court settlement in a wrongful death claim, an attorney can seek justice and compensation through various ways, such as:
- Collecting evidence
- Filling the legal documents correctly and within the stipulated time
- Looking for reliable and valuable expert witnesses
- Identifying all the at-fault parties
- Leading negotiations with insurance companies
- Handling the complex legal process, hence allowing you time to mourn your loved one
- Valuing both your economic and non-economic damages
- Taking your case to trial where necessary
Contact a Mount Pleasant wrongful death lawyer today to ensure your rights and interests are protected. Do not let your loved one’s death go unpunished. Our lawyer will help you file a wrongful death claim while the criminal justice system does its part to punish the culprit.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim
The law gives the surviving family members the right to hold the party that caused the death of a loved one liable for all damages. However, only administrators or executors of the deceased’s properties can file a wrongful death claim.
In the absence of such people, or if they are not willing to file the claim, a judge can nominate someone else. Therefore, the people who can recover wrongful death damages include:
- A surviving spouse
- A child of the deceased
- The surviving parents (in the absence of children or spouse)
- The heirs of the deceased (if there are no spouse, children, or parents)
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages Associated with Wrongful Death
When you bring a wrongful death claim against another person, you are asking the at-fault party to offer financial compensation for the death of your loved one and pay for other damages you suffered as a result of the death.
The money you can receive can represent different types of damages, such as:
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish
- Burial and funeral costs
- Medical expenses associated with the injuries before the death occurred
- Loss of companionship and consortium
- Loss of earnings that the deceased would have provided
- Loss of protection, guidance, care, and training for the minor children of the victim
- Loss of other benefits, such as insurance
While the settlement cannot be a substitute for your loved one’s life, it can help your family financially. Losing a loved one can leave you with huge medical debts. You also need money for other expenses, particularly if the deceased was the family’s main breadwinner.
Seek Legal Help from Our Mount Pleasant Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you are ready to start the process of seeking compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one, contact a member of our team today. Our lawyers will review your case and help you navigate all the available legal options. Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today, and we will handle your claim as you take the time to mourn your loved one and take care of your family.