If your loved one suffered a choking episode in a nursing home, you may have reason to bring legal action against those responsible, especially if it resulted in your loved one’s death. If your loved one was a victim of choking, they might also be a victim of nursing home neglect and may not be properly cared for.
A Mount Pleasant choking lawyer can help you investigate the environment where your loved one choked and make a case for compensation if you choose to bring a lawsuit. Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation about how our legal team can help you seek justice for your loved one.
For a free legal consultation with a choking lawyer serving Mount Pleasant, call (888) 612-7001
Nursing Homes Have a Standard of Care They Must Follow
When people admit their loved one into a nursing home, they generally expect that the administrators and staffers in the home will ensure their loved one’s safety. Specifically, family members expect nursing home staff to:
- Provide their loved one with a consistent level of medical care
- Encourage their loved one to engage socially, foster their hobbies, and remain mentally sharp
- Protect their loved one from other residents’ bad behavior
- Ensure that your loved one’s daily needs, such as feeding and bathroom use, are tended to without exception
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), elder abuse remains underreported despite its prevalence. In 2014, about 188,599 complaints were made about nursing home abuse or neglect, ranging from physical abuse to exploitation.
In some cases, nursing home abuse can come from other residents in the facility and not the staff. However, the fact that the victim lives under the facility’s supervision and care may still hold staff liable for their negligence, especially if they were aware of the abuse.
The Forms of Nursing Home Mistreatment
The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care describes different forms of mistreatment that could affect your loved one in a nursing home setting. Neglect and abuse can be exhibited as:
- Financial exploitation of your loved one, which could include stealing their property or financial assets or failing to invest their assets as promised
- Sexual abuse
- Failure to regularly monitor your loved one to prevent conditions, such as dehydration and infection, from developing
- Direct physical abuse
- Emotional abuse, which could include name-calling, intentional humiliation, and unpredictable outbursts directed at your loved one
- Failure to assist your loved one when they need to move from one location to another
- Failure to administer medication as prescribed
- Failure to assist your loved one with daily activities, such as eating or going to the bathroom, if they require assistance
- Failure to clean your loved one on a regular basis, which could cause bedsores
If you see changes in your loved one that concern you, that might indicate that one or more forms of nursing home mistreatment could be going on. A Mount Pleasant choking attorney can help you get to the bottom of any mistreatment that has affected your loved one and take legal action to bring justice.
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for more details about how they can help file a lawsuit about nursing home abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
Mount Pleasant Choking Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Nursing Home Liability May Be Assigned Top-Down
If you discover that your loved one has suffered mistreatment in a nursing home where they currently reside or formerly resided, we can help you assign blame for their mistreatment. A choking lawyer in Mount Pleasant may employ a top-down approach to assigning liability for your loved one’s substandard care. Some candidates for liability may include:
- The owners of your loved one’s nursing home
- The Board of Trustees for your loved one’s nursing home
- Executive administrators at your loved one’s nursing home
- Individual staffers responsible for your loved one’s care
- Nursing home residents who perpetrated mistreatment
The specific circumstances of your loved one’s mistreatment will be important in establishing liability. Your lawyer will weigh the facts of your case to determine who should be named as defendants in your lawsuit.
A Choking Attorney in Mount Pleasant Can Seek Compensation for Your Loved One’s Losses
Mistreatment can have a significant impact on an elderly victim, according to the National Institute on Aging (NIA). Your loved one could suffer one or more of the following effects of mistreatment:
- Personality changes
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
Whether the harm to your loved one was temporary, permanent, or semi-permanent, the fact that their wellness was put at risk might be grounds for compensation. Your lawyer can calculate their total losses and use this figure as a basis for negotiations. Your lawyer and their team may also do the following:
- Collect evidence of your loved one’s physical injuries
- Collect testimony from medical professionals to determine the impact of your loved one’s mistreatment
- Collect witness testimony
- Identify liable parties for your loved one’s mistreatment
- File your lawsuit
- Negotiate a settlement on your loved one’s behalf
- Complete a trial if no settlement emerges
- Defend your loved one’s rights throughout the legal process
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today to Start Working on Your Choking Case
A Mount Pleasant choking lawyer can assess your loved one’s case and conduct an independent investigation to discover any evidence relating to their mistreatment or injury. They can then seek compensation for any damages your loved one suffered while under the care of a nursing home facility.
Call the team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.