If you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, you may feel frightened, confused, angry, and unsure what to do. However, you are not without legal options. There are certain measures you can take to locate the at-fault driver and pursue both justice and compensation.
Per S.C. Code of Laws § 56-5-1210, any motorist involved in a car accident must stop their vehicle and notify the proper authorities. The negligent driver in your accident may have fled the scene for a variety of reasons. They may have been underinsured or uninsured. They may have been driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and feared criminal charges.
At George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, a Mount Pleasant hit-and-run accident attorney can help you advance your legal goals in a variety of ways. We can help you locate the at-fault driver and work to hold them financially accountable for your collision-related expenses.
For a free legal consultation with a hit-and-run accidents lawyer serving Mount Pleasant, call (888) 612-7001
Finding a Hit-and-Run Driver
To hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions, we will need to employ various measures to locate them. This may involve conducting an investigation into the cause of your accident or working with law enforcement officials. Once we find the at-fault driver, we can learn more about what options you have for recovering compensation.
You may be able to settle your case through a settlement with the liable insurance company. However, if the negligent party does not have adequate insurance coverage or your damages exceed your own policy limits, then you may need to file a lawsuit to recover the cost of your expenses.
We can use the following forms of evidence to locate the at-fault driver:
- Traffic camera footage: We may be able to make out the at-fault driver’s license plate number by reviewing traffic surveillance footage. We may also be able to discern their vehicle’s make, model, and year.
- Witness statements: If there were witnesses to the accident, we can take down their statements to aid in our search.
- Law enforcement records: The at-fault driver in your particular situation may have caused multiple collisions before being apprehended. We can contact law enforcement to determine if any other hit-and-run accidents occurred on the same day that yours did, and ask whether any suspects were located.
We may be able to use other pieces of information to locate and identify the at-fault driver in your car accident case.
Mount Pleasant Hit-and-Run Accidents Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Filing a Lawsuit for Hit-and-Run Accidents
You may need to file a lawsuit to recover the compensation you deserve. If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident and the offender is identified, you can sue them in court to recover the economic and noneconomic damages resulting from the accident.
In the service of your personal injury lawsuit, your lawyer will:
- Handle the filing and paperwork your case necessitates
- Cross-examine witnesses
- Present the court with pieces of decisive evidence
- Cite South Carolina law and legal precedent to advance your case
- Demonstrate the various elements of negligence
- Determine whether the at-fault driver had any other relevant traffic infractions
- Appear in court to advocate for your legal rights
- Guide your lawsuit to completion
A hit-and-run accident lawyer in Mount Pleasant can determine how long you have to file a lawsuit.
Conditions for Recovering Damages in Hit-and-Run Accidents
The claims process following a hit-and-run car accident can be confusing. Without knowing the identity of the at-fault driver, you may face complications dealing with your insurance company. They may assert that you were at fault for the accident or that your policy does not extend coverage to your particular situation.
When you work with a South Carolina car accident lawyer, they can manage all of the challenges that arise throughout the course of your case – including a denial of your claim.
S.C. Code of Laws § 38-77-170 outlines the conditions that must be met for you to recover compensation in a hit-and-run accident case. You must:
- Report the collision to the proper authorities within a “reasonable time”
- Have suffered injuries or property damage due to the collision or the accident must have been witnessed by someone other than the driver
- Have not been negligent in trying to determine the identity of the at-fault driver
Our legal team understands that building a hit-and-run accident case can quickly become confusing. However, our Mount Pleasant hit-and-run accident lawyers can build your case in accordance with the state’s statutes and guidelines.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Secure Legal Representation Today
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a hit-and-run accident, you may be discouraged, thinking that you have no way to recover damages. Yet, this may not be the case. You should not make any assumptions regarding your eligibility to recover damages without consulting with a legal professional first.
Together, we can work to identify the at-fault motorist and work to hold them accountable for the cost of your collision-related damages. A Mount Pleasant hit-and-run accident lawyer can help you recover the cost of your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
The team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers has over 40 years of experience and has resolved over 40,000 cases. We want you to focus on getting better and leave the rest to us. To get started, call us or fill out our online contact form.