Boat accidents can happen in any weather and a variety of individual circumstances. In any case, the person responsible for causing a boat accident could be liable for damages. If you or a loved one was the victim of a boat accident, a Greenwood boat accident attorney may be able to examine your case and outline a strategy for pursuing compensation.
Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation. Learn how we may handle your boost accident case for compensation. We can work on your case while you focus on getting better.
For a free legal consultation with a boat accidents lawyer serving Greenwood, call 864-334-7200
The Harm Caused by Boating Accidents
Boating accidents happen with an unfortunate frequency. The American Boating Association found that, in 2019, there were:
- 4,168 boating accidents
- 613 boating accident deaths
- 2,559 boating accident injuries
Assuming that not all of these accidents, injuries, and deaths were the result of unavoidable circumstances, these statistics indicate that boating safety is not where it needs to be. Those who could be injured in a boating accident include:
- Boat drivers
- Boat passengers
- Those being towed behind a boat
- Swimmers in the water
- Those occupying in-water land such as sandbars
Greenwood Boat Accidents Lawyer Near Me864-334-7200
How Boating Accidents Occur in Greenwood
The possible causes of boat accidents are many, and boat drivers may be at the heart of many boat accidents. A driver can put themselves and others at risk if they:
- Do not know how to operate a boat
- Operate a boat while intoxicated
- Lack proper navigational equipment
- Act negligently
A boat driver may be liable for what they do not do, if actions that they do not take could have prevented an injury or death from occurring. Such failures to act may include:
- Failing to provide an adequate number of functional, fitting life jackets for boat occupants
- Failing to ensure that navigational and safety equipment is operational before departing
- Failing to check weather reports to determine if they may encounter unsafe weather
- Failing to instruct passengers of safety measures and emergency procedures
- Failing to warn passengers when they are about to make potentially dangerous maneuvers, such as rapid acceleration or sharp turns
A boater who caused or contributed to yourself or your loved one being injured could be held similarly liable for what they do and what they did not do in causing your injuries.
Determining Who Caused Your Injuries
If you choose to hire a boat accident lawyer in Greenwood, one of their duties will be to assign liability for your accident. Some possible sources of liability for your injuries include:
- The driver of a boat who acted negligently or did not take precautions to prevent your injuries
- The owner of the vessel by which or on which you were injured
- Local government if some failure, such as a malfunctioning safety signal, contributed to your accident
- A boat or parts manufacturer if some type of malfunction caused your accident
Your lawyer will examine the facts of your case thoroughly. They may also review all evidence pertaining to your accident, and then determine against whom you should pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit, and whether you have the adequate evidence to make such pursuits worthwhile.
Our boat accident lawyers in Greenwood may take on your case for awards, handling all aspects of your claim or lawsuit that they can manage on their own.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Greenwood Boat Accident Lawyer Can Serve You
You may be physically, psychologically, and emotionally diminished in the wake of a boat accident. You may also be caring for an injured loved one or mourning the passing of somebody you care for. In any case, a lawyer may take on your case for compensation while you focus on what matters most.
Some of the duties that your boat accident attorney in Greenwood may perform include:
- Gathering and organizing evidence of your accident
- Documenting your injuries with help from your doctors
- Interviewing witnesses and incorporating their accounts into your case
- Calculating your total losses to date
- Projecting losses that you may suffer in the future
- Filing your insurance claim or lawsuit
- Negotiating a settlement to complete your insurance claim or lawsuit
- Completing a trial if necessary
- Filing any appeals should you fail to obtain a settlement or favorable judgement
Having an attorney on your side could allow you to handle as little of your case as is possible. Being free from the responsibilities of a lawsuit or insurance claim could reduce the possibility that you will experience additional stress as the result of your case for awards. It may also free up time and effort that you would have to expend seeking compensation if you did not have a lawyer to assist you.
Awards You May Collect for Your Losses
A severe injury from a boating accident can upend your life, preventing you from working and harming you in other ways. Our Greenwood boat accident attorneys may account for all of the losses you have suffered and pursue compensation covering your losses.
If they are successful, you may collect compensation for:
- Your accident-related medical costs
- Your lost income
- Scarring, lost limbs, and other types of disfigurement
- Rehabilitation for your physical injuries
- Therapy for your psychological injuries
- Harm to your earning capacity
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
An insurance settlement or lawsuit could reimburse you for some or all of the negative outcomes that have come from your boat accident.
Reach Out to George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Today
Hiring a Greenwood boat accident lawyer could be in the interest of yourself and your loved ones if you are reeling from a boat accident. Call George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today for more details about how we may work towards any compensation that you are entitled to. Do not wait to call, as you generally have a limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit.