Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have changed the way transportation happens, and with millions of people opting for ridesharing instead of driving themselves or using taxis, it is a given that ridesharing vehicles will be involved in accidents. When these accidents occur, if the accident is the fault of the Uber or Lyft driver, there will be a liability for the injuries of the rideshare passengers, as well as any injuries in other involved vehicles.
If you have been injured in a ridesharing accident in South Carolina, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation. A Greenville Uber and Lyft ridesharing accident lawyer may be able to assist you if you are interested in pursuing a claim for your losses. We can help assess the specific details of your case, your rights, and what you may be entitled to, and can determine if it is possible to pursue a claim against the ridesharing service.
For a free legal consultation with a uber and lyft rideshare accidents lawyer serving Greenville, call 864-407-4000
Determining Liability in an Uber or Lyft Ridesharing Accident
Establishing liability after a ridesharing accident depends on various circumstances involved in the accident. If the driver of an Uber or Lyft ridesharing vehicle is responsible for an accident, the insurance of the ridesharing service may offer coverage, depending on several factors:
- If the driver was transporting a passenger
- If the driver was in transit to pick up a passenger
- If the driver was signed into the Uber or Lyft app while scouting for passengers
If any of these circumstances applied at the time of the accident, the liability may fall on Uber or Lyft and their insurance coverage, particularly if the ridesharing driver is at fault for the accident. If you were in a ridesharing accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, and you suffered injuries as a result of the accident, you may be entitled to compensation based on Uber or Lyft’s insurance coverage.
If you were a passenger in a ridesharing vehicle and were involved in an accident that was the fault of another driver, the liability will fall against that driver, and not the ridesharing service of Uber or Lyft. In this regard, if you were to pursue a personal injury claim, your claim would work to hold this driver responsible for your injuries.
Uber and Lyft Driver Insurance Coverage
Ridesharing companies in South Carolina require their drivers to have personal auto insurance coverage. In addition to this, some drivers may opt to carry commercial auto insurance as well.
The accident insurance Uber and Lyft provide covers a range of different liabilities, including uninsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage. These forms of coverage protect both passengers of the ridesharing vehicle, as well as drivers who are picking up, transporting, and looking for passengers while signed into the mobile app.
In the event the Uber or Lyft driver is at fault for the accident, the auto insurance coverage provided by Uber or Lyft may also cover the driver and passengers of the other vehicle. Specific details of the insurance coverage provided by Uber and Lyft include the following:
- If the driver is not picking up or transporting a passenger but is logged into the app, both Uber and Lyft provide $50,000 per person, and $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident, along with $25,000 in property damage coverage, per accident.
- If the driver is on their way to pick up a passenger or is transporting a passenger, Uber and Lyft provide a maximum of $1 million in third-party liability coverage.
- If the driver is not logged into the ridesharing app at the time of the accident, the driver’s personal car insurance coverage or commercial insurance coverage should cover the accident.
Greenville Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents Lawyer Near Me864-407-4000
Types of Compensation You May be Entitled to After a Rideshare Crash
If you have been involved in an accident that was the fault of an Uber or Lyft ridesharing driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. Among these damages are:
- Medical Expenses: this can include all of your costs related to the injuries you have sustained, such as hospital expenses, physician examinations, surgeries, medical equipment necessary for managing your injuries, physical therapy, rehabilitation, prescription medications, and others.
- Loss of Wages: if you have missed work due to your injuries, or have lost income as a result of your injuries, or if your injuries have halted your ability to earn the same level of income that you earned before your accident, these losses will be assessed and taken into account.
- Pain and Suffering: if your accident and injuries have resulted in a loss of your quality of life or have caused emotional hardship, this can be factored into your case.
How a Ridesharing Accident Lawyer May Be Able To Help You
If you were recently injured in an accident while traveling in a ridesharing vehicle, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation for your injuries and losses. A Greenville Uber and Lyft ridesharing accident lawyer may be able to assist you, offering guidance and insight as they build a case that potentially holds the negligent driver responsible for your injuries.
An attorney may provide a range of benefits to your case, including:
- Negotiating with the insurance company to ensure a fair settlement
- Handling all communications between the different parties involved
- Managing your case to ensure your time is spent recovering from your injuries
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with a Greenville Uber and Lyft Ridesharing Accident Lawyer
Contact the professionals at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today. We offer a free case review, and if you decide to hire us for your personal injury claim, we work on a contingency-fee basis, which means you will not be obligated to pay anything up-front. Our ridesharing accident lawyers will fight hard to secure a settlement for you, and above all, we want you to just focus on getting better and leave the rest to us.