In some cases, you may be able to hold a property owner or occupier liable for the injuries and other damages you suffered in a Columbia slip and fall accident. South Carolina has strict and complex premises liability laws, but we have had success holding negligent property owners financially accountable for our clients’ fall-related expenses and losses.
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers offers free case reviews, and we can explain if we believe you have a strong case for compensation. If we handle your case, we will work on a contingency basis, and you will owe us no attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf.* Call us today at 803-999-2993 for a consultation with a slip and fall lawyer in Columbia, SC.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Columbia, call 803-999-2993
Recoverable Damages After Winning a Columbia Slip and Fall Case
Many people consider falls a minor incident, and think they only cause scrapes and bruises. Unfortunately, some of those people work for insurance companies, which make it more difficult to get them to take this type of claim seriously.
Depending on the fall, where it happened, and your overall health, a fall can cause serious and debilitating injuries. Broken arms, torn ligaments, and tendon injuries are common. Sometimes, victims even suffer neck, back, or head injuries. These injuries can require hospitalization and even surgery.
We may be able to help you recover compensation based on the damages you suffered. This will include not only your medical expenses but a range other damages that may include:
- Lost wages and future lost income
- Pain and suffering damages
- Other costs related to your treatment and care
- Ongoing care costs
- Diminished earning capacity
- Repair or replacement of any damaged property
Columbia Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Near Me803-999-2993
Liability in a Columbia, SC Slip and Fall
Serious slip and fall injuries can happen almost anywhere, including:
- A local shop or large department store
- The grocery store
- The home of a friend or family member
- Your neighbor’s yard
- Your favorite restaurant
- The local park
When a fall does occur, the property owner or business owner is not automatically liable for any resulting injuries or other damages. In order to potentially hold them financially responsible, you will need help to show they acted in a negligent manner or that they knew, or should have known, about the things that caused your injury. This could include showing:
- They knew about the fall hazard and failed to take action to repair it.
- They created the unsafe condition, either through direct action or negligence.
- They should have known about the hazard on their premises.
This means that twisting your ankle and falling might not be the responsibility of the property owner, but a number of common dangers may support a viable slip and fall claim, including:
- Spills remaining on the floor for an extended period of time
- Torn carpets or other trip hazards
- Items or cords left in the walkway
- Uneven walkways without proper warnings
- Dangerous stairways and broken railing
- Broken or loose tiles
- Poor lighting, especially on stairs or uneven floors
Proving Your Columbia Slip and Fall Case
To prove your Columbia, SC slip and fall case, we need to show the property owner or occupier knew about the unsafe condition and failed to act, or carelessly created the condition or should have known about it. To this end, we conduct a full investigation into every premises liability case, gathering all possible evidence to show:
- Why the responsible party knew or should have known about the damage that injured you
- The hazard that caused your fall
- What created the hazard
- How long the hazard remained
- Who knew about the hazard
- How the hazard caused your injuries
- Any other parties who might share liability in your fall
Our investigation requires us to gather as much information as possible about the premises where you fell and the unsafe condition that caused your fall. Some of the key evidence to prove our case includes:
- Proof that the responsible party knew or should have known about the hazard
- Eyewitness accounts of the fall
- A survey of the scene
- Pictures or other documentation of the hazard that caused your fall
- Video of the fall
- Your medical records
- Information about your prognosis and the need for future care
- Proof of your full range of damages
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Navigating the Claims Process in Your SC Slip and Fall
After we develop a strong case that allows us to prove liability and fight for the full value of your case, we can take the next step in the process and begin to calculate the compensation we believe you deserve. There are generally two ways we may be able to get a payout on your behalf:
Filing an Insurance Claim Based on Your Slip and Fall Injury
We usually begin by filing an insurance claim on your behalf. This will be sent to the appropriate party.
The claims process often begins after we know the full extent of your damages with a demand letter that we draft and send to the insurance company. It explains your case against their policyholder as well as all the damages you suffered because of the fall. While they may deny our claim, they usually engage in settlement negotiations, and sometimes we can reach a fair settlement with them at this point in the process.
Pursuing a Columbia Slip and Fall Lawsuit
If the insurance company denies our claim or refuses to negotiate a fair settlement agreement, we are not afraid to file a premises liability lawsuit against the property owner or occupier if that is what it takes to try to recover the compensation you need.
When we take a case to court, we present the evidence we collected to a jury or a judge and ask them to make a decision whether you deserve a payout. If they rule in your favor, they will also determine the amount of your award based on the case we present.
Talk to a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Columbia, SC About Your Case for Free
The premises liability attorneys from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can help you understand your rights and options for compensation after a Columbia slip and fall. We offer free case evaluations and will handle your case on a contingency basis. You owe us no attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation for you.*
Call us today at 803-999-2993 to talk to a slip and fall lawyer in Columbia, SC.