When it comes to protecting yourself or an elderly loved one from abuse or neglect, hiring the right lawyer may have a variety of positive outcomes, such as legally protecting seniors with binding contracts for their care as well as recovering compensation in cases of abuse or neglect.
If you suspect your loved one has endured abuse or neglect in a care facility, contact the dedicated Cayce, SC, nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today to find out how we can assist you.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
What Is Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
Federal regulations state that every nursing home resident must be free from abuse or neglect. Any instance of either should result in a report and investigation in order to protect the senior from further harm. Abuse can take many forms, including “mistreatment, neglect, and misappropriation of property.”
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) define nursing home abuse and neglect as:
- Abuse: intentional infliction of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation, care/service deprivation or punishment that results in physical harm, pain or mental anguish
- Neglect: a failure, intentional or not, to provide a person with the care and services necessary to ensure freedom from harm or pain; a failure to react to a potentially dangerous situation resulting in a resident’s harm or anxiety
Types of Abuse
Nursing home abuse can take many forms. Signs of nursing home abuse include:
- Sexual abuse: Elderly individuals often cannot give consent due to a variety of reasons. Sexual abuse occurs when someone takes advantage of this or forces a resident to engage in any non-consensual sex act. Sexual abuse includes rape, coercion to perform a sex act, sexual assault, unwanted touching, sodomy, and even taking nude pictures.
- Physical abuse: The use of unnecessary physical force on an elderly person that results in or can be expected to cause bodily harm and impairment, or intentionally causing someone physical pain.
- Psychological or emotional abuse: Also called emotional abuse, psychological abuse occurs when someone intentionally inflicts pain or mental anguish through verbalization or nonverbal actions. Humiliation, isolation, intimidation, harassment, and verbal assault all constitute methods of psychological abuse.
- Abandonment: Desertion in a public or private place can result in harm to an elderly individual, as well as cause psychological problems.
- Financial abuse: Financial abuse takes many forms, but at its core, abusers seek to use an elderly individual’s assets for their own gain. See below for examples of how each type of abuse may occur.
Nursing Home Neglect
Neglect and abuse often go hand in hand. When nursing home staff do not provide for a resident’s need or fail to perform necessary medical services, they are engaging in neglect. Neglect also occurs whenever an elderly individual is allowed to experience harm or pain.
Staff who intentionally fail to react to situations in which these things could occur are committing an act of neglect. If you think yourself or your loved one is experiencing neglect, contact our nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys in Cayce, SC, as soon as possible.
Cayce Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers’ Commitment to Fighting Abuse
If you want a firm that will stand by you and fight for everything you deserve, then you need a firm like George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. We bring years of experience to the table. Our track record proves that we put our money where our mouth is when it comes to fighting against nursing home abuse and neglect.
We have helped our clients win against major nursing homes, getting them the compensation they need to get better. If you or a loved one has or is currently experiencing nursing home abuse and neglect, look no further than our firm. An initial consultation is free, and you may be entitled to compensation.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!(888) 612-7001
Signs of Abuse and Neglect to Watch For
Abuse and neglect are not always easy to spot. If your loved ones report any kind of abuse from nursing home staff, take their claims seriously. If you see any of the signs below, contact a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer in Cayce, SC, as soon as possible.
- Unexplained broken bones
- Abnormal bruising or bleeding
- Wounds not properly cared for
- Sprains, joint dislocations, or other injuries
- Signs or a report of restraints
- Sudden personality change
- Having the request for a one-on-one visit denied
- A report of non-consensual sexual activity
- Bleeding from the anus or vagina
- New STDs
- Unexplained genital infections
- Bruising in private regions
- Underwear or clothing that is bloody or torn
- A report of mistreatment
- A withdrawn, unresponsive individual
- Sudden change in personality
- A new name on accounts
- Changes to legal documents
- Disappearance of funds
- Unnecessary services rendered
- Providing substandard care
- Transfer of assets
- Sudden appearance of family members claiming a right to the senior’s possessions
- Bed sores
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Failure to treat medical issues
- Allowing a senior to engage in actions that result in harm
- Unsanitary conditions
- Desertion of the senior in a public place
- A report of abandonment
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
Your Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer in Cayce, SC
Nursing home abuse and neglect cases have many hurdles which are best navigated by an experienced nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer. Our firm is ready to put our years of experience to work for you in handling all your senior’s needs.
If you or a loved one has experienced nursing home abuse or neglect in Cayce, SC, you may be entitled to compensation. Furthermore, an experienced attorney can help you draft legal documents that will help keep you safe in the future.
For more information about how a Cayce, SC, nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers can help you, contact us for a free consultation.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001