Ridesharing is a common part of everyday life for millions of people. However, as convenient and efficient as using a ridesharing service can be, it is inevitable that accidents can and will occur involving Uber and Lyft vehicles.
If you were in an accident while traveling in an Uber or Lyft in Cayce, South Carolina, you may be eligible for compensation for the injuries and other losses you have sustained. A Cayce Uber and Lyft rideshare accident attorney may be able to help if you would like to learn more about your options for filing a claim or lawsuit for damages.
The team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers offers a free case review, and we can examine your case to determine what you may be entitled to recover. We will explain your rights and explain how to proceed with a claim or lawsuit against the appropriate party.
For a free legal consultation with a uber and lyft rideshare accidents lawyer serving Cayce, call (888) 612-7001
How Insurance Coverage Applies to Uber and Lyft Accidents
Determining liability in regard to Uber or Lyft accidents depends on specific circumstances at the time of the accident. Because Uber and Lyft are both services coordinated using mobile app technology, how the driver was using the app during the accident will determine how the rideshare company’s insurance coverage applies.
Here are the specific factors that will determine whether Uber’s or Lyft’s insurance coverage will apply to you:
- If the Uber or Lyft driver was transporting a passenger at the time of the accident
- If the driver was in transit to get a passenger at the time of the accident
- If the driver was scouting for potential passengers and was signed into their Uber or Lyft app at the time of the accident
If any of these conditions applied when the accident occurred, and the accident is determined to be the fault of another party, Uber or Lyft’s insurance coverage may cover the injuries and expenses related to the accident.
Our team can help you whether you were injured as a bicyclist, motorist, pedestrian, or passenger. We can even help you if you are an injured rideshare driver.
Cayce Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accidents Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Compensation in a Cayce Rideshare Accident Case
After an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, it may be helpful to consider working with an Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer in Cayce. If you were injured due to the accident, there is a possibility that you will be eligible to collect compensation for your losses and damages.
Types of compensation you may be able to collect include:
- Medical expenses. You may be able to recover costs associated with the medical treatment needed for your injuries, including hospital stays, surgery, physical therapy, and medications.
- Lost wages. If your injuries have caused you to miss work and lose wages, or if your injuries have affected your ability to earn income at your previous level, you may qualify for monetary compensation.
- Pain and suffering. If you have experienced emotional hardship due to your injuries or the accident, or if your quality of life has suffered, noneconomic losses such as pain and suffering may be accounted for in your case.
It is important to understand your options. If you were injured due to another party’s negligence, our team believes that you should not be responsible for the expenses that have come from the accident. The assistance of an attorney can help hold the negligent party accountable for their actions.
What Kind of Insurance Coverage Do Uber and Lyft Drivers Get?
If you use ridesharing services, it is important to know that in South Carolina, it is a requirement that drivers have personal auto insurance in addition to the coverage Lyft and Uber provide. Some drivers purchase additional commercial auto coverage to ensure that they are protected.
The insurance coverage provided by both Uber and Lyft only applies when a rideshare driver is actively using the app. Some forms of coverage include:
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
The goal of the insurance coverage offered by Uber and Lyft is to provide protection for drivers and passengers in the event of a collision.
Levels of Rideshare Insurance Coverage
You may be able to recover compensation under Uber’s and Lyft’s insurance policy if the rideshare driver was actively using the app at the time of the collision. Additionally, if an Uber or Lyft driver is at fault for an accident between two cars, this coverage extends to the passengers of the other vehicle.
If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, the following levels of auto coverage are provided:
- If the driver is logged into the app but is not actively completing a request, $50,000 per individual is provided, with $100,000 in bodily injury insurance coverage per accident. An additional $25,000 for property damage per accident is also provided. This coverage applies to both Uber and Lyft.
- If the driver is en route to pick up a passenger or is currently transporting a passenger at the time of the accident, both Uber and Lyft provide a maximum of $1 million in third-party liability coverage. Additionally, the companies provide uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage. They also provide contingent comprehensive and collision coverage, which varies per state.
- If an accident occurs and the driver is not logged into the Uber or Lyft app, it will be the responsibility of the driver’s insurance company to cover the expenses of the accident.
If you have any questions regarding Uber’s or Lyft’s insurance coverage, do not hesitate to reach out to George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let a Rideshare Accident Lawyer Help With Your Case
If you were injured in a rideshare accident, you may be able to pursue compensation for the expenses and losses due to your injuries. A Cayce Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyer may be able to offer legal guidance and help you build a case.
Contact the legal team at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers today by phone or through our online form to learn more. We offer a free case review, and you owe us nothing unless we secure a settlement for you. We want you to just focus on getting better and leave the rest to us.