If you believe your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect, reach out to a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer in Carolina Forest, South Carolina, from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers to discuss your legal options. The initial consultation with one of our attorneys is always free.
We Know How To Protect Your Rights And We Are Ready To Fight For You!Give Us A Call »
The Hard Truth About Nursing Home Abuse
There are multiple types of nursing home abuse, including:
- Physical nursing home abuse: In addition to hitting and shoving, physical nursing home abuse can also involve failing to equip a facility with the proper safety equipment and withholding medication or using inappropriate or violent restraining methods.
- Sexual nursing home abuse: Arecent CNN report revealed that sexual abuse happens far more frequently at nursing homes than most people would expect. Sexual nursing home abuse is any type of nonconsensual sexual contact from touching to penetration.
- Financial nursing home abuse: This type of abuse occurs when someone who is tasked with helping a senior citizen manage their regular bills takes advantage of the situation and uses the senior citizen’s money for their own purposes. It’s most commonly seen by family members but can also happen when a nursing home pads a resident’s bill.
- Emotional nursing home abuse: Emotional abuse is any type of abuse that deliberately undermines the resident’s self-confidence and creates an atmosphere of abuse. Forced isolation is a form of emotional elder abuse.
Carolina Forest Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Nursing Home Abuse Through Neglect
While financial, physical, emotional, and sexual nursing home abuse get the most attention, there’s also the problem of neglect. This particular type of nursing home abuse happens largely due to staffing issues. It’s estimated that most nursing homes have periods of time when a single employee is caring for fifteen residents.
The problem with this degree of understaffing is that residents who are quiet and don’t have many visitors looking out for their well-being are often forgotten. They can go for long periods of time when they don’t get the social interaction, exercise, and even medications they require.
Our Goal Is To Get You The Most Money – FAST!(888) 612-7001
Take a Proactive Stance Against Carolina Forest Nursing Home Abuse
The sad reality is that most cases of nursing home abuse are never reported. Make a point of unexpectedly visiting your loved one at the nursing home. This discourages staff from potentially abusing your loved one but also helps you pick up on the signs that your loved one is in trouble.
Signs of nursing home abuse include:
- Frequent unexplained bruises, welts, and cuts
- Frequent dehydration
- Weight loss and other signs of constant malnutrition
- Consistently poor hygiene
- Withdrawn behavior
- Hair loss
- They’re consistently wearing dirty or damaged clothing
- Missing personal items
- Extreme agitation
- Negative reaction to a particular member of staff
Some people have found that removing their loved one from the nursing home for a few hours can encourage their loved one to discuss what’s happening at the nursing home. In addition to taking them out to eat, other Carolina Forest activities senior citizens enjoy include:
- Exploring the Horry County Museum
- Going to the Carolina Forest Senior Center
- Spending an afternoon at the beach
- Grabbing an ice cream cone at Buster’s Real Ice Cream
- Strolling through one of Horry County’s excellent parks
Whenever possible, take your loved one to their doctor appointments. Not only does this provide you with an excellent opportunity to stay in the loop with regards to diagnosis, current treatments, and the type/amount of medication your loved one receives, but it’s also a chance to discuss the possibility of nursing home abuse.
Your loved one’s doctors should help you determine what behavior is normal for your loved one’s current condition and what could indicate abuse.
Our Firm Stands Apart From The Rest Because We Make Clients Our Priority.Give Us A Call »
How the Law Deals with Nursing Home Abuse
When George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers accepts your loved one’s case, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to quickly stop the abuse and see that your loved one gets the justice they deserve.
Call us or fill out our online contact form to book an appointment today. A nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Carolina Forest, SC, is standing by to fight for you and your loved one.
Not Happy With the Results From Your Current Lawyer?(888) 612-7001