If you’ve reached the point where you feel it’s necessary to seek counsel to protect your elder’s safety and well-being, contact George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers. Our dedicated team of personal injury attorneys serve the Beaufort, South Carolina, area, and we’re available to discuss your situation with you. Our initial no-obligation consultations are always free.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer serving Beaufort, call (888) 612-7001
Outlining Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers in Beaufort, SC, at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers are focused on providing you with the best legal options for correcting the issues of nursing home abuse and neglect. We begin with outlining the ways in which such actions may manifest.
- Physical abuse: Unnecessary physical force used against an elder, such as shaking, pinching, slapping, or grabbing, and can also include applying inappropriate means to restrain
- Sexual abuse: Any type of nonconsensual sexual contact that may include penetration or touching, but can also involve forcing a senior to watch others in a sexual act
- Psychological or emotional abuse: Intimidation or humiliation tactics used either non-verbally or verbally to frighten the elder patient
- Financial abuse or exploitation: Taking another’s property without consent, such as cash, physical items, or assets
- Neglect: Not caring for your senior’s basic needs of shelter, hygiene, medication, safety, and nourishment
Beaufort Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Near Me(888) 612-7001
Identifying the Signs and Symptoms of Neglect and Abuse
Don’t second guess yourself if you suspect that your loved one is the victim of abuse or neglect. Your instincts are telling you that something’s not right. One incident may seem like an odd coincidence, but when you have the knowledge to recognize the signs and symptoms, you are much better prepared to protect your senior.
Signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Physical abuse: Personality suddenly changes; cuts; dislocations; bruises, burns; broken bones; restraint marks on ankles or wrists
- Sexual abuse: Specific bruising to the genitals, breasts, or thighs; blood on undergarments; sudden infections or STDs
- Emotional abuse: Suddenly apprehensive; unexplained depression; withdrawal from communication or activities; mumbling to oneself
- Financial abuse: Missing items; unexplained bank account deductions or name transfer on legal documents
- Neglect: Dehydration or weight loss; bedsores; improper hygiene; dirty and unkempt bedding or clothing
What to Do When You Suspect Abuse or Neglect
Time is of the essence if you believe your elder is in imminent danger. It’s also critical to respond quickly when you’ve recognized signs that she’s the victim of abuse or neglect.
If It’s an Emergency
If immediate assistance is needed to treat the senior, do not hesitate to call 911. Emergency personnel are trained to quickly and effectively stabilize the senior in order to transport her to a hospital.
If It’s a Non-Emergency
You still need to attend to the best interests of your loved one even when the situation is not an emergency. Removing her from an unhealthy and potentially dangerous environment is one option.
- Verify your suspicions, when possible, with your loved one or another coherent patient to obtain details about the event(s)
- Photograph any signs of neglect or injuries
- Gather all relevant documents
- Address a formal written letter to the nursing home administrator and send it via certified post
- Contact South Carolina Adult Protective Services in Beaufort County at 1-843-255-6143
- Notify your local law enforcement
- Call the offices of George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers and speak to a nursing home abuse and neglect attorney in Beaufort
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers Can Assist You
George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers are compassionate when it comes to our clients’ concerns. Contact us when you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect. We serve the Beaufort, South Carolina, area and are ready to assist you with an initial free consultation.
Whether meeting with us at one of our offices is more convenient for you or you’d prefer that we come to you, we are available to listen to the details of your individual situation. If you lost a loved one due to nursing home abuse and neglect, you may be able to recover a payout through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers serving Beaufort, SC, have spent many years fighting for nursing home neglect and abuse victims. Our strong history of recovery is evidence of the confidence and commitment we offer while pursuing the maximum compensation available for our clients.
Past successes are not a guarantee of future recovery in your case, but our lawyers do assure you that your loved one’s interests become our #1 priority. We are the voice for your loved one against those who seek to take advantage. Let’s fight for justice together.