The Experience You’re After to Help Get Your Money Faster!

Contact Us

Get Help Today

Tell us about your situation below and receive a free case review.

Yes, I consent to receive helpful information from George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers via email, text message, and/or direct mail
Any information sent to George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers through this website may not be secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. Transmission of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers, nor is it intended to do so.
Contact Us Now

South Carolina Workers' Compensation FAQ

Q: Who is covered by South Carolina’s workers’ compensation?

A: Employees who suffer job-related injuries and illnesses are covered by South Carolina’s workers’ compensation. Unpaid volunteers aren’t subject to the Worker’s Compensation Act and are considered to be “gratuitous employees.” However, oftentimes insurers will try to deny workers compensation benefits to injured workers. That’s why it is so important to contact an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer.

Q: Will I be able to sue an employer if they are responsible for the accident?

A: The workers’ compensation system was developed to protect workers injured at the jobsite without taking into account who’s at fault. Most employers are mandated by law to offer some sort of workers’ compensation benefits for their employees.

Q: If I’m receiving workers’ compensation, what benefits can I expect to receive?

A: Workers’ compensation law allows you to receive compensation for lost wages, long term injuries, and medical expenses. You are entitled to compensation at the rate of 66% of your average weekly wage, which is based on four quarters prior to your injury. Workers’ compensation usually pays for surgery, hospitalization, medical supplies, prosthetic devices, and prescriptions. However, sometimes the insurance companies responsible for paying workers’ compensation claims make it difficult for injured workers to get the benefits they deserve. That’s why it is important to talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer about your work-related injury. Remember that in order to receive benefits, you must file a claim.

Q: Will I get compensated for missing time from work because of my injury?

A: Before benefits can be paid, there is a seven day waiting period. If you are out of work for more than seven days, payments come from your employer’s insurance. If you are out of work for more than 14 days, you can receive compensation for the first seven days. These payments should continue until the doctor releases you to go back to work.

Q: What should I do if my injury prohibits me from returning to work?

A: If you’re unable to return to your previous position at work, the South Carolina Workers Compensation Act allows for the injured employee to be placed in vocational rehabilitation, which is provided by the workers’ compensation carrier. Vocational rehabilitation is the process of rebuilding work skills in order to help others recover from a work-related injury or illness with the aim of gaining employment.

Q: Do I have to see the company’s doctor, or can I choose my own doctor?

A: Under current law, your employer can choose the doctor who will treat you. If you see your doctor without permission of the employer, your employer might not be held liable for medical expenses. The doctor’s report can determine which benefits you will receive, and in some cases, the doctor will minimize the seriousness of your injury in order to retain business with the employer or insurance company. If you would like to see another doctor, you can ask the insurance carrier for a second opinion or request a hearing by filling out Form 50 where a commissioner will make a decision on your case. This process can be complicated, and seeking help from an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can help walk you through this process and protect your rights.

Q: What if my work accident was my fault? Do I still have a case?

A: Yes, you could still have a case. When injured in an accident at work, it doesn’t matter who’s at fault.

Q: Should I tell my boss that I got hurt at work?

A: Yes. In order to receive worker’s compensation benefits, you must inform your boss so that he/she can report your accident to their insurance company, which is reported to the Workers’ Compensation Commission.

Q: Will I get fired if I make a workers compensation claim?

A: No, your employer can’t fire you in retaliation for filing a worker’s compensation claim. If your employer does fire you, you may be able to seek damages in civil court.

Q: My injury happened over time. Can I still get compensation?

A: Yes, you can still receive compensation, depending on your injury and the circumstances surrounding it. A worker’s compensation injury may happen suddenly or over time. Talk to an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to find out more about your rights under workers’ compensation laws.

*The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Please contact a South Carolina personal injury lawyer or injury attorney at George Sink, P.A. Injury Lawyers for consultation on your particular case.

Client Testimonials

The insurance company treated me like my pain was nothing. He said “be worry free, I'll take care of everything.” And he did! George Sink really cares. Yes he does. George Sink fought for me. He cared for me, and my family. They cared for me like I was family.
-Clotelia Simmons*
Actual Client
Read More Testimonials